Considering Razor Grille swap

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
michael.bohn

Considering Razor Grille swap

Post by michael.bohn »

I have a '79 J10 with Muscle Grille and I'm considering swapping to a Razor Grille.
Can someone tell me what should fill in the center hood arch in this case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Considering Razor Grille swap

Post by Stuka »

I have never seen a '79 with a muscle grill. I had thought only the pig nose was used in '79. But either way, the swap is the same.

So, you will need round head lights, you need to build mounts as the valance changed. Round lights will not just bolt in. You have to remove most of the mounts from the valance. You have to drill holes in the valance for the new grill.

The hardest part is the hood bar. Drilling the hood for one is hard. Its a lot easier to find a hood that came with a bar. Although the latch system did change at one point. But can be adapted.

On my swap, I never put on my hood bar (I still have it). Because drilling the hood was going to be a royal pain. I simply painted that section of the valance satin black, so it basically looks kind of like a hood scoop from a distance. And it less glaring close up.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
michael.bohn

Post by michael.bohn »

I apologize, yes it currently has a pig nose grille!

Topic author
michael.bohn

Post by michael.bohn »

And thank you for the thorough detail!

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

Stuka is right, it was hard to drill the holes in the hood, but with a good punch, it isn't too bad, just hit it pretty hard to make the dimple where you are going to drill the holes. That was just about the hardest part, modifying the headlight buckets wasn't too bad, just time consuming... Good Luck
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness