Broken Drivers seat. Seat Frame pics?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Jonnyworld

Broken Drivers seat. Seat Frame pics?

Post by Jonnyworld »

My drivers seat leans back on the right side and flexes. Just wondering who has fixed this on their jeep. And if there are any pics out there. I would like to remove original seat cover weld frame back and replace cover. I haven't dug into it since it is a daily driver and i didnt know if it would take an hour or 2 weeks. Any advise would be great. It is an 82 wagoneer Broughm. No electric seats no recline.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
82 wagoneer 360 4spd
with a well lubed driveway.
4 inch skyjacker lift

I can fix it or fix or I can fix it where no one else can."

csuengr

Re: Broken Drivers seat. Seat Frame pics?

Post by csuengr »

I have done this before. It all depends where it is broken. When I did mine, I just had to remove a couple hog rings and pull the covering back, put a piece of aluminum over the foam, and welded it back together.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Topic author
Jonnyworld

Post by Jonnyworld »

csuengr wrote:I have done this before. It all depends where it is broken. When I did mine, I just had to remove a couple hog rings and pull the covering back, put a piece of aluminum over the foam, and welded it back together.
That is what I wanted to hear. Before i went to the trouble of pilling the seat out

82 wagoneer 360 4spd
4 inch skyjacker lift

babywag

Post by babywag »

If you're worried it'll take too long, remove passenger seat from base & swap the passenger seat onto the drivers base.
Then you can take your time if needed...
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Curly

Post by Curly »

My Cherokee had the same lean on the drivers seat. Turns out the aftermarket seat frame was broken AND the rear/inside floor mount was broken completely out of the floor. PO was a large man.

Curly
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

Topic author
Jonnyworld

Post by Jonnyworld »

babywag wrote:If you're worried it'll take too long, remove passenger seat from base & swap the passenger seat onto the drivers base.
Great plan. I didnt realize they could swap

82 wagoneer 360 4spd
4 inch skyjacker lift

babywag

Post by babywag »

Jonnyworld wrote:
babywag wrote:If you're worried it'll take too long, remove passenger seat from base & swap the passenger seat onto the drivers base.
Great plan. I didnt realize they could swap

You kinda have to make it fit...height all way up, seat all way back, not ideal but works in pinch if needed. IIRC kinda have to tweek side support some.
Mine literally broke and I had to figure something out to get kids where they needed to go that day.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Jonnyworld

Post by Jonnyworld »

Jonnyworld wrote:My drivers seat leans back on the right side and flexes. Just wondering who has fixed this on their jeep. And if there are any pics out there. I would like to remove original seat cover weld frame back and replace cover. I haven't dug into it since it is a daily driver and i didnt know if it would take an hour or 2 weeks. Any advise would be great. It is an 82 wagoneer Broughm. No electric seats no recline.

Here is a picture of the crack in my seat frame now to get it welded. And braced.ImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
82 wagoneer 360 4spd
4 inch skyjacker lift

Greg72

Post by Greg72 »

babywag wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:46 pm If you're worried it'll take too long, remove passenger seat from base & swap the passenger seat onto the drivers base.
BTT - Sorry for dredging up this necrotic thread, but this is the first reference I've found using my Search-Fu on this forum. :)

Does anyone have a photo or two showing where the cracks occur, and any other images of the fix? My drivers seat is fully reclined (1989 Grand Wagoneer) and I'm fairly certain that was never a factory option!!!

Thanks!

-G
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - !! NEW !!

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Correct, but just a smidge if you bring up the front under your knees.
My drivers seat is broke on the right side too, but have not torn mine down yet to repair. Have other stuff needs done first.
As the frame is said to be thinner metal, I heard some delicate welding is needed, to do a good repair.
Post pics of your process when you get to it please?
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Greg72

Post by Greg72 »

devildog80 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:13 am Correct, but just a smidge if you bring up the front under your knees.
My drivers seat is broke on the right side too, but have not torn mine down yet to repair. Have other stuff needs done first.
As the frame is said to be thinner metal, I heard some delicate welding is needed, to do a good repair.
Post pics of your process when you get to it please?
Hey Devildog80,

Sure thing, happy to share as I dig in and do my "baseline" repairs and tune-up on this new vehicle.... (new to me anyway) :D

From what I've seen on these forums already, it appears that the drive and passenger seats are identical and the only difference is the seat mounting base (and power motor switch side plates)... so as a quick fix, I should be able to unbolt the passenger seat and drop it in on the driver's side which will allow me to continue to drive the vehicle. Then at my leisure, I can throw the broken seat up on the workbench and start peeling back the upholstery for a little forensic investigation....

-G

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

But....with the electric seats in the GW they have the switches mounted outboard, as I thought of switching mine, but would have needed to move them as well.
Just adjusted as far as I could for now, so I am somewhat in a decent driving position, until I can repair/replace the seat.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Greg72

Post by Greg72 »

devildog80 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:59 am But....with the electric seats in the GW they have the switches mounted outboard, as I thought of switching mine, but would have needed to move them as well.
Just adjusted as far as I could for now, so I am somewhat in a decent driving position, until I can repair/replace the seat.
Yeah.... my situation is pretty desperate. Can't really drive around like this anymore... :lol:

-G

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Wow
Yep, just 4 little bolts to remove seat from frame and unplug wires......swap :)
Might need to stack some firewood up behind it in the back seat until you get it figured out better.
Mine only broken on the right side, so I lean a little to the arm rest.

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

the frame is definately cracked, i rmoved my low back drivers seat and removed the covering and welded it up, unfortunately upholstery shops wanted a fortune to recover the seats, i found a shop dealing with vehicle conversion tale outs, got my self a real nice pr. removed from a 2021 grand cherokee black leather like brand new they still had the factory shipping plastic on them ,grand total 200.00 for 2 seats bolted right in only had to drill 2 holes in each base to work

Greg72

Post by Greg72 »

devildog80 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:13 pm Wow
Yep, just 4 little bolts to remove seat from frame and unplug wires......swap :)
Might need to stack some firewood up behind it in the back seat until you get it figured out better.
Mine only broken on the right side, so I lean a little to the arm rest.
Good to know the fix is easy (at least in terms of swapping the PS seat to my side for now).

Does anyone like BJs Offroad offer a reinforcement kit for the seats? It seems like I see a LOT of photos of these 84 - 91 Grand Wagoneers with at least a small amount of backrest "lean" usually toward the door panel side. If not, I will probably come up with something on my own.... I've got a TIG welder and a CNC Plasma Table in my home shop and am not afraid to use it!!! :idea:

-G

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

not, I will probably come up with something on my own.... I've got a TIG welder and a CNC Plasma Table in my home shop and am not afraid to use it!!! :idea:

I knew there was something I liked about you😂
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Greg72

Post by Greg72 »

Yeller wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:05 pm not, I will probably come up with something on my own.... I've got a TIG welder and a CNC Plasma Table in my home shop and am not afraid to use it!!! :idea:

I knew there was something I liked about you😂

HA! Well, once it was apart and it the damage was surveyed, it turns out the repair didn't even need any welding...

Here's the issue... both rails were kinked right at the spot where the material tapers to it's thinnest point.

Comparing the passenger mount (foreground) to the driver's side bent mechanism (background) the issue is clear to see.

I couple sections of 1x1" .125" wall square tubing was fit up under the mounting pads to add a ton more strength and ultimately these acted like a girdle to force the rails back into alignment and remove the bent rails.

The end results is perfect and really sturdy...

The only possible downside is that it DOES raise the seat 1" higher than factory, but with all of the adjustments built into the seat, this would not be an issue except for the very tallest of drivers.... (which is certainly not an issue for me) :lol:

Will drive around for a little while to confirm this fix is legit, then will pull it back apart on final time, maybe TIG weld some small caps on open ends of the tubes to improve the aesthetics... then paint the entire seat base and mechanism in a nice satin black so that the area looks nicer than when I started. Will whip up a quick set for the passenger side as well.

A nice side-effect of the taller seat is that the seatfoam doesn't "bottom out" on the rails anymore. This kept the seat from being as soft as it otherwise could be and gave it a hard-spot that you could feel when driving. That seems to have been improved now.

-G

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Good to hear it was easier than feared.
I did take out my bases, cleaned/greased them up, then re-installed.
Mine does have a broken tube frame inside the upholstery, so I will need to do some surgery repair in the future.