1979 cherokee rear bumper mounting

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
79CCPathKiller

1979 cherokee rear bumper mounting

Post by 79CCPathKiller »

So I was looking at the rear bumper on my truck and what is odd is that it only has 6 mounting holes on the bottom of the bumper orientated (_____o________o__o_________________o__o________o_______).. whats weird is that the bottom mounts on the truck appear to be correctly spaced and hot rigged on there but you can only either use the red holes to line up or the blue holes to line up and the bumper is then favoring one side or the other... does anyone have any pictures of their mounting setup under the bumper. I will get pictures soon. I will be pulling it off soon. thanks in advance.
79 CC aka PathKiller. 6" lift, 36" TSL's, 360 AT QT, Edlebrock intake a 4 bbl, stainless headers, one off stainless exhaust.
01 XJ 7.5" lift, 33" Dunlop Mudrovers, steering box upgrade and PS cooler.

Tatsadasayago

Re: 1979 cherokee rear bumper mounting

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Here are two shots of mine.
This is looking at the passenger side.

The two inner holes hold the center piece to the brackets and rear crossmember and the outer ones tie the ends to it.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
79CCPathKiller

Post by 79CCPathKiller »

Thanks for the pictures. I appreciate you taking the time. I started tearing apart the bumper and noticed that it has only ever been mounted on the bottom half with two of the holes and the orientation of the holes will only allow left side or right side. I took some measurements and found that the body appears to be shifted approximately three eights of an inch favoring one side which is actually what is causing the misalignment. It was a trail rig before I got it. actually really nice trail rig so I figure the body probably just settled.
79 CC aka PathKiller. 6" lift, 36" TSL's, 360 AT QT, Edlebrock intake a 4 bbl, stainless headers, one off stainless exhaust.
01 XJ 7.5" lift, 33" Dunlop Mudrovers, steering box upgrade and PS cooler.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

That's kind of what I was suspecting. Likely the body mount bolts are bent.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation