85 J20 Ignition issues PLEASE HELP

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Grandpobah68

85 J20 Ignition issues PLEASE HELP

Post by Grandpobah68 »

Hello, I need help with an ignition issue on my 85 J20. It was starting fine and for some unknown reason she stopped turning over. I have replaced the starter, starter solenoid (twice), ignition switch, battery and a full tune up kit. I am getting 12.26 volts to the one side of the starter solenoid but nothing from the other side to the starter when I turn the ignition. I am getting about 6 volts to the blue wire at the solenoid when I turn the key. I am lost at this point. This is a simple system. What am I missing????

Tatsadasayago

Re: 85 J20 Ignition issues PLEASE HELP

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Possibly a defective neutral safety switch or ignition switch (The one low on the steering column). If I recall correctly, the blue wire at the solenoid should see more voltage than 6v when the key is turned to the start position. I believe it should be battery voltage.
tgreese is one of our resident electrical Gurus and hopefully he can chime in and help you out.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
Grandpobah68

Post by Grandpobah68 »

I wasn't sure if it had a neutral safety switch. Do you know where it is so I can jump it and see if thats the problem?

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

If your truck is an automatic, the NSS is near the shift linkage on the transmission, drivers side with 3 wires. If it's a manual, it's usually on the shift tower/top cover.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I was just thinking;
You can test the starting system by jumping from the battery cable stud on the solenoid to the outer stud. If the starter spins, it's likely the NSS or ignition switch...

Topic author
Grandpobah68

Post by Grandpobah68 »

The neutral safety switch is the only thing I haven't replaced. I'll get one tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks Figures it's always the last thing you try. Hopefully thats it.

will e

Post by will e »

Hey there, I don't know how much you work on old cars. I am going to offer up a bit of advice and I am not trying to be a jerk.
When you are trouble shooting a problem it's not always the best idea to 'throw parts at it'. Not only does it increase the cost but often times one of the 'replacement parts' is defective too. That's just my 2 cents. That being said, you now have a bunch of spare parts for the trail and that is a good thing!

If you haven't purchased the Neutral Safety Switch yet try this first. Turn the key to the start position and try moving the gear selector. Be careful because it might start 'in gear' so chock the wheels, set the parking brake and have your foot on the brake too. It might just be an adjustment is needed, not a new switch.

Also, try what tatsadasayago suggested with the solenoid. This should spin the starter and the result, successful or not, will divide your issue in about half. When you do his test make sure the truck is in park, the parking brake is set and the wheels are chocked. If the truck starts you don't want it running away on ya.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

As Will E said, the fault is usually the most basic of all. Throwing parts is the easy way out and we only really learn bu thinking about stuff and reducing the problem. I surely hope your solution is a simple and cheap one.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

If you try the method with the jumper cable, be sure the car is in park or neutral and parking brake set. I would also pull the coil wire.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Grandpobah68

Post by Grandpobah68 »

I want to thank everyone for their help and input. I found the issue and it wasn't even electrical. Turns out the ignition switch rod from the key switch to the ignition switch was out of adjustment. From now on I will take my time and start from one end and trace to the other end instead of just replacing parts. I got lazy and frustrated. Once again thanks for all of your help. She starts right up and is running like a champ. :fsj:

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Great news!
Sorry you had to throw parts at the problem, but you will never forget this situation. Well done!