Quarter glass

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
musicmaster

Quarter glass

Post by musicmaster »

I have never removed quartee glass from a vehicle, whats the best way to do it on a 2 dr cherokee? Is repro weather stripoing available?

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Quarter glass

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

You're buying new gaskets, right?
Just use a sharp (several probably) razor knife and cut off one side of the gasket. Then gently push the window through towards the non-cut side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Are you talking about the side windows aft of the doors? If yes, I have pulled 2 sets from a 74 and 76 Cherokee 2 door. They had small screws inside the Jeep that hold the aluminum window frames to the body. If I remember right, the screw heads are behind part of the window frame gasket. Once the screws are removed I am pretty sure I pushed them out of the opening from inside to the outside. I have never heard of replacement seals for these. Maybe they are out there some where though.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

tedlovesjeeps71

fulsizjeep wrote:I have never heard of replacement seals for these. Maybe they are out there some where though.
Nor surprised. Image OP, please disregard my advice!!! I do t want to be to blame for telling you to do something that causes a nightmare down the road!!
Thanks FSJ for clarifying!

Topic author
musicmaster

Post by musicmaster »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:You're buying new gaskets, right?
Just use a sharp (several probably) razor knife and cut off one side of the gasket. Then gently push the window through towards the non-cut side.

Can you buy new gaskets?

tedlovesjeeps71

musicmaster wrote:

Can you buy new gaskets?

Sounds like no... I've never looked into it myself.

Topic author
musicmaster

Post by musicmaster »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
musicmaster wrote:

Can you buy new gaskets?

Sounds like no... I've never looked into it myself.

Apoerently you can buy them for 4 doors.... But not 2 door

tedlovesjeeps71

Good call! Thanks for clarifying that.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

A while back I was searching for quarter window gaskets for my Chief and found some late 60s K5 Blazer gaskets with the plastic-chrome trim that seemed to be close. I didn't order them but it may be worth a shot to look in that direction.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

No, no one makes replacement gaskets. To remove mine, and all the others I have robbed windows/gaskets out of, there were no screws holding anything in. Just use a hard plastic pry bar to gently pry the gasket from the inside out. Work your way around while someone supports the window from outside and it eventually pops out. Be patient and it will all come out fine and you can reuse your gasket.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Topic author
musicmaster

Post by musicmaster »

HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:No, no one makes replacement gaskets. To remove mine, and all the others I have robbed windows/gaskets out of, there were no screws holding anything in. Just use a hard plastic pry bar to gently pry the gasket from the inside out. Work your way around while someone supports the window from outside and it eventually pops out. Be patient and it will all come out fine and you can reuse your gasket.
Thanks. I thought about piano wire too. Is it hard to reinstall?

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:No, no one makes replacement gaskets. To remove mine, and all the others I have robbed windows/gaskets out of, there were no screws holding anything in. Just use a hard plastic pry bar to gently pry the gasket from the inside out. Work your way around while someone supports the window from outside and it eventually pops out. Be patient and it will all come out fine and you can reuse your gasket.
I thought maybe newer 2 doors did not use the screws. So did you find there is two different gaskets used depending on the year? I have noticed the 80's 2 doors gaskets are a bit different. Maybe the whole frame? I have never taken one of those apart though.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

tedlovesjeeps71

musicmaster wrote: Thanks. I thought about piano wire too. Is it hard to reinstall?

If they are dry and very hard they will be difficult. Maybe you can have some luck soaking them in something for a week or so to make them a little flexible again??

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I found that wound guitar strings are great for cutting windshield and quarter glass gaskets. Acoustic guitar D or A strings work the best as long as you take your time and not overheat the string.

Topic author
musicmaster

Post by musicmaster »

Tatsadasayago wrote:I found that wound guitar strings are great for cutting windshield and quarter glass gaskets. Acoustic guitar D or A strings work the best as long as you take your time and not overheat the string.
What about a low E? I have a few strings laying around.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

musicmaster wrote:
Tatsadasayago wrote:I found that wound guitar strings are great for cutting windshield and quarter glass gaskets. Acoustic guitar D or A strings work the best as long as you take your time and not overheat the string.
What about a low E? I have a few strings laying around.

I've used the E with some success but they tend to chew the glass more than the smaller strings. I ended up cutting a 1/4" off the bottom corner and couldn't feel or hear it. I think the D and A work so well because the tighter windings still cut but aren't as aggressive.

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

fulsizjeep wrote:I thought maybe newer 2 doors did not use the screws. So did you find there is two different gaskets used depending on the year? I have noticed the 80's 2 doors gaskets are a bit different. Maybe the whole frame? I have never taken one of those apart though.
The only difference I've heard is the difference in gaskets between the two piece window (vent style) and single piece window.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Hard part isnt getting the quarter panel window out.. its getting it back in with sealant on the rubber seal.. gets very messy and its hard to flap the seal outward.. i had to use a screwdriver to flip the seal out when putting it back in.. was a pita
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
musicmaster

Post by musicmaster »

candymancan wrote:Hard part isnt getting the quarter panel window out.. its getting it back in with sealant on the rubber seal.. gets very messy and its hard to flap the seal outward.. i had to use a screwdriver to flip the seal out when putting it back in.. was a pita
Maybe ill just leave it in and mask off the windows when i paint it

letank

Post by letank »

candymancan wrote:Hard part isnt getting the quarter panel window out.. its getting it back in with sealant on the rubber seal.. gets very messy and its hard to flap the seal outward.. i had to use a screwdriver to flip the seal out when putting it back in.. was a pita
to get the rubber seal back on, let the seal cook under the windshield of another vehicle on a sunny day for about 2hrs... the gasket will be extremely compliant, it is still a 2 person job, but very easy. Start from the lower rear on the wagoneer, but the chero glass has roundish corners so it is easy(er)

I have done 3 corner glass on 2 waggys in the last 5 years. Don't bother leaving the gasket in the sun, it is not hot enough, the hairdryer trick is a joke...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)