Stock FSJ Tech Area

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Two questions

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

musicmaster wrote:
az chip wrote:
musicmaster wrote:Nevermind, i didnt read the entire post... Sorry

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
That is fine. Thanks for helping. Always appreciated.
I only said that cause i know a ton of people who have never heard of flare nut wrenches

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
I've heard of em. Owned several sets from cheapO to Snapon. Never found a line wrench yet that works on a bad nut. They always, always round off. It's not the wrench's fault. Just the soft metal of the nut and it's ability to become so well fused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The line nuts are hollow, so they will distort to an oval if you use an open end wrench. Your only option is a line wrench, if you want to reuse the line. To the contrary, I have been able to remove rounded line nuts by fully seating the wrench on the nut. I suggest that there exist two cases - where the nut is oval from an open-end wrench, and where the corners are rounded from a line wrench slipping off. In both cases, I suggest that it's imperative to get the wrench all the way down over the nut, so that the center of the flat is at the middle of the wrench. The middle of the wrench face is where the wrench is strongest/stiffest and least likely to bend and slip over the nut faces.

No proof for this - just what I think is going on.

The alternative is to cut the tube off and hammer a 6-point deep socket over the nut. That should also work, but it destroys the brake or fuel line.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I agree when i was trying to bleed the brakes on my friend 04 chevy the damn nuts are made of brass and so tight or corroded in there that i couldnt open two of the valves due to the fing brass nut stripping... kinda retarded to use metals that are super weak like that
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)