Hydroboost question

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
kansasboy001

Hydroboost question

Post by kansasboy001 »

I've been thinking about doing a hydroboost swap into my 83 Cherokee and I have a couple questions. So I need a hydroboost and master cylinder from a Astro Van which I can get from the junkyard. Do I need an adapter plate or anything or is it as simple as bolting it up and doing the hoses?

Thanks
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Hydroboost question

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Honestly... Go to IFSJA and look for Elliot. He sells HB kits for all sorts of stuff. He's also a wealth of knowledge and has always been willing to advise even if you don't buy his stuff. Good guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaiserman

Post by Kaiserman »

I don't think Elliott has been on IFSJA for a while. He sells them (HB set ups) on ebay though.
1971 J2500 Gladiator Custom-Cab Platform Stake on 126" wb. B350/T18A/D20 D60/D60-3 w/locker 4.10's Ramsey 8klb PTO winch, Day-brook dump. 225/95R16's
1969 J3800 Gladiator 3407Z Camper Truck. B350/T18A/D20 D44/D60-3 w/4.10's
1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400 Mostly Stock
1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0L/AW4 4" lift OEM swing out tire carrier and brushguard

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

I just installed hydroboost on my 79 cherokee. Some reading (I believe this is Elliot's page)
http://www.custompowerbrake.com/

You have two options for shortening the push rod. You can either buy a spacer from elliot or try to shorten it yourself. What I did was cut the eye off the hydrobooster and the original vacuum booster. Threaded what was left on the hydrobooster (this was a pain because you cant remove the pushrod from it easily) then thread the original eye from the vacuum booster. Mine ended up being so short that there is virtually no adjust ability in it. If I was going to do it again I would just buy or make the firewall spacer. The eye on the hydrobooster is also larger than the pin on the brake pedal so you either need to use a bushing (again from elliot) or make an adjustable push rod like I did. With the spacer it can be longer.

I have an LS motor so I used a PS pump from a 2005 2500 Silverado that has two return fittings so that eliminated the brass tee. Not sure if this pump would work on a 360 but it might.

This is a very worthwhile upgrade. Everything else in my brake system is stock and I was shocked at the stopping power the first time I drove it after the swap. Make sure all of your rubber hoses and brake lines are in good shape too...you may blow out any weak ones.
79 Cherokee 5.3/4l65E/NP241C
79 CJ7

88amcsuv

Post by 88amcsuv »

I want to get in touch with Elliot about his brake systems and don't see him on this site. Does anyone have his email address? I don't belong to IFSJA so I can't message him or make contact that way either. Checked the website that they say is him but I can't get off the homepage for some reason to go to the question area. Please if anyone can help me get in contact with him it would be much appreciated. Thank you.
1976 AMC Gremlin V-8 ordered new, needs restoring
1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 401, turbo 400, dana 20 twin stick, dana 44's with 3:73 gears and 4 wheel disc brakes, 33x10.50Rx15LT tires on factory slots, hydro boost, 6 inch Rusty's lift (removing rear 2" blocks and put new 4" front springs can't get in too high), with new upholstery, carpet, stereo and speakers, my own version of on and off road emergency kit.
1998 Mercury Mountaineer daily driver
2006 Ford F-150, Lariat, extended cab, 5.4L, 2WD

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

You can message him through his eBay store, or possibly his website http://www.custompowerbrake.com/
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

Try this email address for him: Contact me at sterlingworth16 at yahoo dot com
1980 J10/20
Rusty's 4" lift, 2" body lift, old Cliffhanger front bumper, 35" tires, 65 dash w Speedhut gauges.
Xtrusion Overland rack system, Tepui tent, 1/2 decked system.

LONG time member of ifsja.org, FSJ-List and some others...

Billybob535

Post by Billybob535 »

I am going to be doing the junkyard astro HB swap on my 83 Cherokee and I emailed him at the address shown above. I heard back right away and bought the spacer from him. He also shared a bunch of other info about the swap. I have not done anything with mine yet but I am sure it will be ok.

FSJRomanGladiator

Post by FSJRomanGladiator »

Taking y’all advice and contacted “him”. I have searched tirelessly for a power brake booster for my 74 J10 after it went out - which almost did not end well for me. It has been over three weeks and my FSJ is just sitting.

Major auto part stores state it is discontinued or places like Summit have it in back order from Cardone.

I learned it is a special booster for 74-80 J10’s. True? Can I use a universal?

Anyone else go down either road recently?

Thanks y’all - learning a lot.

'15 Grand Cherokee 4X4 - Altitude - Blacked Out
'74 J10 - (restoring) 383 Stroker; TH400 Trans, Dana 44's 4.10 gear, Dana 20 TC. 4" Lift from Skyjacker;

brielly
Vendor

Post by brielly »

I bought a set up from elliot years ago that came with a new hydroboost and spacer. Years ago I tried to do it myself with a remanufactured cardone unit-Big mistake. It leaked pretty much from day one and the replacement unit did the same. I wound up having to run lucas power steering fluid to keep the leak at bay. Hopefully he still offers new units or at least ones that cardone hasn't ruined.
82 Cherokee 258 w/ mopar fuel injection, ax-15
Fiberglass Rhino Grille reproductions for sale. See my post in the vendors section or contact me rrielly@verizon.net

FSJRomanGladiator

brielly wrote:I bought a set up from elliot years ago that came with a new hydroboost and spacer. Years ago I tried to do it myself with a remanufactured cardone unit-Big mistake. It leaked pretty much from day one and the replacement unit did the same. I wound up having to run lucas power steering fluid to keep the leak at bay. Hopefully he still offers new units or at least ones that cardone hasn't ruined.

Thanks!

Good to know. Was the leak from a power booster self install or one of his hydro boosters?

'74 J10 - (restoring) 383 Stroker; TH400 Trans, Dana 44's 4.10 gear, Dana 20 TC. 4" Lift from Skyjacker;

brielly
Vendor

Post by brielly »

Was the leak from a power booster self install or one of his hydro boosters?
The leak was from a remanufactured cardone unit purchased from autozone. The setup I got from Elliot has been perfect.
82 Cherokee 258 w/ mopar fuel injection, ax-15
Fiberglass Rhino Grille reproductions for sale. See my post in the vendors section or contact me rrielly@verizon.net

FSJRomanGladiator

Sounds good. He has been great and I made the purchase yesterday. Mine is a restore and bc of the rusted lines and increase of pressure, I have a bigger project. I am sure it will be worth it.

He was very specific on fluid and filter are you sticking to his recommendations?

Thanks again

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

I did my 1982 Cherokee many years ago . I went to junk yard and got parts of a full size chevy hydroboost and master from same donor . I used 1982 jeep factory stock spacer from vacuum booster bolts right up made custom brake pedal rod . All brake line fit perfect 75.00 $ all done . I use amsoil tracter hydrolic fluid been 5 years not one drop has leaked .
:fsj:454.nv4500.205.twin stick.hydo boost. hydrolic clutch.dana 60s.soa.37s 17inch.tration bar.warn 1200. 4 wheel disc.aero29 gallon .conferr roof rack.spal pulse width modulation.spal duel fans.painless battery isolator.duel batterys.factory cb. headers 2 1/2 duels.4.56 Detroit locker.alloy 35 spline axles.stainless brake lines .holley 770.edelbrock.fuel.water.intake.H4s.head light relays.racho 9000 shocks.rock ram.steering box brace.j20 steering box.msd8265 probillet distributor.msd super conductor wires.

SkylinePCG

Post by SkylinePCG »

Write up I did on ifsja a ways back, using one of Elliot’s units.

http://www.forums.ifsja.org/showthread.php?t=167951

Rod2

Post by Rod2 »

I've posted this message before, but I can't remember whether here or otherwise. I put one of Elliot's unit's on my J4000 9 yrs ago, and my truck has the best power brakes of any vehicle I've ever owned, and that's with four 12" drums. I can leave 4 black patches of sliding 33's if I forget and apply too aggressively. I never had power brakes, and I could never find a reference for stock vacuum boosted brakes on a '73; thank goodness and Elliot for the amazing upgrade.
On the technical side, he supplied a master from a GM 2500, so I had to reduce the disc supply port to my drum line size, but it works. The base plate he supplied was perfect as was the push rod. My local NAPA hydraulic line maker helped me with new lines; my old pump and steering unit were standard threads, so NAPA made dual fitting lines as needed. I also installed a filter in the return line. I did the install myself, and BW helped me bleed the system to complete the job.
I would give up driving it rather than going back to standard brakes.
'73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn lock-o-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, tilt column from '77 Firebird, 12000 MileMarker on cradle, hitch receiver on both ends

FSJRomanGladiator

ya'll been awesome. Stoked to get this J on the road.

@Rod2 - he recommended a 78 vette MC. Prob similiar unit. What size lines did you use for brakes? I found a J10 kit for the lines and curious if I could use the OEM replacements? - 1/2 -20 (3/16 line) and 7/16 -24 (7/16 line)

@skylinePCG - great write up.. ordered new drums for rear today and locating a power steering box for my 74 J10. getting closer to installing the HB!

Rod2

Post by Rod2 »

As I recall, on a disc/drum set-up, one line is bigger than the other (can't remember which is which). Both lines are the same size (3/16?) on all drums, so I bought a reducer for the big out put from the master and fastened my 3/16 to it. If you have disc/drums on your '74, the new master should bolt right up. If you have all drums, then my remedy will work for you, too. You may have to buy new lines if your old ones are now too short. Just get ones long enough to reach from the master to the proportioning valve.
'73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn lock-o-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, tilt column from '77 Firebird, 12000 MileMarker on cradle, hitch receiver on both ends

FSJRomanGladiator

Rod2 wrote:As I recall, on a disc/drum set-up, one line is bigger than the other (can't remember which is which). Both lines are the same size (3/16?) on all drums, so I bought a reducer for the big out put from the master and fastened my 3/16 to it. If you have disc/drums on your '74, the new master should bolt right up. If you have all drums, then my remedy will work for you, too. You may have to buy new lines if your old ones are now too short. Just get ones long enough to reach from the master to the proportioning valve.

Thank you! I’ll be putting in a residual after proportioning valve. The original lines had two sizes but with the rusted coil protecting cover, they all look the same.

I do have a disc/drum setup. I actually replaced the drums last weekend and the lines were so rusted, it took nothing for them to break off.

Moving to the from discs, then hydrobooster, PS box and MC. That way I can see if original lines up with all new parts and lines will be dry.

Then brake lines.

Been since November that I purchased and itching to get her on the road.

Rod2

Post by Rod2 »

Congrats! Sounds like you have a handle on your rebuild. I think new lines in the size you already have will work with a hydro-boost master cylinder. Good luck. Keep posting.