One owner Grand Wagoneer '83 rusty brown

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
edognight

One owner Grand Wagoneer '83 rusty brown

Post by edognight »

Hey guys, I am a jeep tourist because I got a cheap grand wagoneer from a friend, for cheap. It is in pretty bad shape mechanically, and I am stuck on the carb. I rebuilt it, because it was leaking a little, and it is still leaking and wont idle. Car wouldn't crank at all, now it starts and runs as long as you pump the throttle, (runs pretty well actually) but no idle. Float needle valve works, and just put in a new electric fuel pump. Return line was clogged, ran a new one.

I was wondering if the carb is just cracked, because I see evidence if leaking fuel, but nothing excessive. small fuel leak out of the lever arm in the driver's side, and a little from the big x valve thingy in the back. carb is a motorcraft 2100 on a 360 v8, just looking for some guidance, get a new carb? rebuild again, what to check for, etc... any help appreciated!

ShagWagon

Re: One owner Grand Wagoneer '83 rusty brown

Post by ShagWagon »

Carb rebuild---->>new carb------>>junkyard FI------>>Fitech and manifold

How much you want to spend?

You will get plenty of help here.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Where are you located? Internet is full of info, but nothing beats eyes-on.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

Walhalla SC. At the foor of the mountians. I was thinking another carb, one for sale down the road for 50$...I was just seeing the best options, because I dont know what I dont know.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Totally! We're a pretty social group, always looking for chances to get face to face.

Like many here, I'm a fan of throttle body fuel injection for AMC V8, but it is a big investment for a vehicle that usually costs no more than a couple grand to drive home.

The MC2150 (an MC2100 with an altitude compensating mechanism) is a great all-around carb for our trucks, but I've not had great luck getting them in good condition, either rebuilt or remanufactured. Used, they've all had warped/cracked top plates, and reman'd one had the compensator replaced with a bolt to gag it shut.

The popular square bore 4bbls all require a new intake, so between the cost of a carb & intake your 3/4 of the way to turn-key TBI.

For $50, I think that carb down the road may be worth the chance, I just wouldn't get too emotionally invested just in case it's no better than the carb you have. The mystery fuel leaking sounds very typical of all the worn out motorcrafts I've had to part ways with.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

How much would the throttle body, or junkyard efi cost? ballpark...

letank

Post by letank »

Welcome to the madness,

back to carb, it seems to be leaking at the throttle shaft, probably need a new bushing, but seems like a major pita if leaking in the back as well, the carb may have ended its serviceable life.

Picts are always good to give us more details.

Do not forget to install a new fiber gasket and may be a new insulator plate -the plate often breaks appart when removed.

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Carburetor-to ... p_671.html

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Carburetor-In ... p_665.html

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Carburetor-In ... p_670.html

your local parts store may have those, but this was a quick way to give you infos

Remember that the power valve in front and bottom of the carb need to be connected to intake manifold vacuum

http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1312

edit:corrected syntax
Last edited by letank on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

A rebuild kit is about $50, now, aren't they? (Haven't rebuilt a carb in ages, sorry). I'd try that first and see if that helps. Even with the used carb for sale, you'd still want to rebuild it (unless it's recently been done) and then you'll be into it for $100....

DIY TBI can run anywhere from a couple hundred to turnkey systems at around $1,000-$1,500.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

$1000 complete for the PFI (includes everything, including the adapter for the stock intake).

A couple guys here named Blake and Ethan are avid supporters of junkyard TBI, usually spending around $300 to piecemeal whole systems together, but they did the research and know what to look for.

The single best resource for TBI here is USNbill, or Bill Hamilton of Hamilton fuel injection. He did the mother write-up over on binder planet and migrated it over here for us jeepers. His systems cost closer to $1500, but there's no price tag on the expertise he offers.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

Guys, thanks for all the great advice, I am going to keep researching, but will prolly get a new/used/rebuilt carb....

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Sounds like your carburetor is worn out - if so, a home rebuild won't cure its problems. A professional carburetor shop could fix it up.

This guy http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MotorCraft- ... 2375235863 has been selling the Motorcraft carburetors for many years. Worth considering. Send him an email, describe your needs, and see what he says.

That said, throttle body fuel injection (as suggested above) is an excellent upgrade.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

OK, update, I got a new/rebuilt carb from rock auto for about 200$. I put it on, and same thing, but no more leaks, runs ok when you pump the throttle, but won't idle and backfires as it gets hotter. Good news, is it is way closer to idling, and no leaks, but more or less in the same boat. I am going to replace the PCV, and play with the adjustments, like the fast idle, but still could use any help you can give...

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Have you double-checked the firing order? If so, I'd start checking other things beyond the carb. Timing (with and without vacuum advance hooked up), if you have a vacuum gauge, set your idle mixture for maximum vacuum.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

I will check the firing order, I just changed the plugs, and three plug wires were hangine loose (!) but I can't adjust or do much because I can't get this thing to idle at all. Is there an idle speed adjustment? or just the idle mix adjustment?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The TSM has an excellent discussion of the workings of your carburetor. It covers each circuit - run, accelerate, idle, choke.

The idle speed is controlled by a screw (the idle speed stop) on the throttle linkage. There is an additional stop on the choke side that controls the fast idle at start-up. The idle mixture is the two screws on the bottom front of the carburetor. Turn them all the way in, and then out the same amount, say 2 or 2.5 turns. Setting these a little rich won't matter for getting the engine to run - tune them after you get the engine to idle.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

OK, I did that, adjusted the idle with the throttle linkage, and I can get it to idle, it is a little rough, and idles very high, maybe 2500 rpm. I adjusted the idle mixture, and cant get it to idle under about 1000rpm, but this is much better!

I am going to keep playing with it, and maybe try to play with the timing, but thanks for the help!

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

PS, now the starter is sticking and the solenoid wont release, so there goes another 90$

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

SO. Fuel line is clogged again, so I'll run a new one, not getting fuel to the carb, this is a new issue, but easy to diagnose, I think the old metal line has had it. I have all the ports plugged on the carb, so I'll let you all know what happens next.

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

By the way, I checked the timing, firing order, distributer replaced and advance works with vacuum, new carb, new plugs, car idles way too high, then when warm, wont idle at all, that is where I was, then the starter broke, I replaced that, then the fuel line is clogged again...

derf

Post by derf »

It may be worth it to drop the fuel tank and clean out any gunk, both from the tank and the fuel pickup.