One owner Grand Wagoneer '83 rusty brown

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
edognight

Re: One owner Grand Wagoneer '83 rusty brown

Post by edognight »

Tank has been cleaned and replaced pickup, but thanks.

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

Hey guys, I am back, and finally had a chance to get the jeep running again. I had a better mechanic friend look at it, and he found a few unplugged lines on the manifold, so I had a few vacuum leaks, but still the car refuses to idle. It will only run if you pump the throttle and it runs fine, nice and smooth, but no idle. I checked the three lines that run from the metal lines from the transfer case/back of the engine to the front diff, and they were totally gone, as in not there at all, so I ran some new ones. But same problem, no idle, but it will start and run if you pump the gas. I am going to take all the vacuum hoses off, and remove the smog lines so I can see the manifold and plug everything and try and start over.

Engine shows no vacuum unless you pump the throttle, then it will hit about 15psi, but just for a second. carb is getting fuel, but no idle. Based on dealing with this engine, I am pretty sure it is a perished hose somewhere, but hard to say which one...thanks for any help.

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

Got it running! I thought I would post here in case it helps somebody. I will tell the whole story.

engine was pulling zero vacuum and wouldn't idle. It would go to 15psi if you goosed the throttle, then would die. I removed the carb, and checked the base gaskets and the insulator (black plastic thing with holes for venturis and the studs on the intake) and one corner was cracked. I put everything back together doubling up the thicker cardboard gaskets, and it would idle!! and sprayed carb cleaner at the base of the carb, and it revved up, so I am pretty sure it is the cracked insulator and bad carb gaskets. The bigger gasket on top of the carb was very squashed compared to the new one, and carb cleaner was definitely getting in the intake manifold. So she is fixed, and driveable, and I havent even checked the car out to see what works, and what doesnt, but I am pretty happy...thanks to all who helped.

az chip

Post by az chip »

derf wrote:It may be worth it to drop the fuel tank and clean out any gunk, both from the tank and the fuel pickup.
^^^This^^^ Anyone mentioned egr?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

az chip

Post by az chip »

edognight wrote:Got it running! I thought I would post here in case it helps somebody. I will tell the whole story.

engine was pulling zero vacuum and wouldn't idle. It would go to 15psi if you goosed the throttle, then would die. I removed the carb, and checked the base gaskets and the insulator (black plastic thing with holes for venturis and the studs on the intake) and one corner was cracked. I put everything back together doubling up the thicker cardboard gaskets, and it would idle!! and sprayed carb cleaner at the base of the carb, and it revved up, so I am pretty sure it is the cracked insulator and bad carb gaskets. The bigger gasket on top of the carb was very squashed compared to the new one, and carb cleaner was definitely getting in the intake manifold. So she is fixed, and driveable, and I havent even checked the car out to see what works, and what doesnt, but I am pretty happy...thanks to all who helped.
After you replace the plastic stand off, get one of these, Fel-Pro 60094-1 gasket at any O'Reillys. It is thicker and worked better for me on the base.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

Rusty Brown update. I got it running! Of all things, the base plate on the carb was cracked, and was letting in air and no idle, but would run when I revved it up. New plate, and now it passes the squirt of carb cleaner at the base test. It runs OK, pretty torquey, but 140 hp ain't a lot. My motorcycle makes 140. NOw, timing, booster, lug nuts, dash lights, carpet, yadda yadda yadda. Thanks for the help!