Combination/prop valve centering tool

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
az chip

Combination/prop valve centering tool

Post by az chip »

Has anyone found a centering pin bleeder tool locally? Like Autozone or oreillys?
Last edited by az chip on Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

will e

Re: Combination/prop valve centering tool

Post by will e »

What does it do?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Curly

Post by Curly »

I have bled the brakes on hundreds of cars and trucks, using Gravity, Vacuum, Pressure and just plain old pump -the -pedal method and I have never had to depress the pin on a proportioning valve. Have you tried just bleeding the brakes with out the tool?

Curly
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

I have one, purchased from Power Brake Sales in Sacramento, Ca. also I saw one for sale from one of the outfits that supply 4 wheel disc brake kits (can't member their name) usually if the valve is not centered you can stomp on the brakes ( providing there are no defects in system) and pin will center, and like Curly said almost never needed the tool , Cheers

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

will e wrote:What does it do?
I believe it's meant to center the piston in the combo valve. If the piston isn't centered, the brake light on the dash will be on, signaling brake failure.

Has nothing to do with holding the pin in for bleeding, as I understand it.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

The book says it has to be in there to bleed the rears. I have spongy brakes right now. Going to try and do it the right way. I did the rear adjusters and other stuff. Changed out the lines.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

it's to keep the "piston" centered WHILE bleeding the brakes,it won't center the piston,mine is only plastic and there's no way it could do anything but keep the piston from moving while bleeding.

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

http://www.powerbrakes.com/index.html
call this place tomorrow and ask for Sandy he's been around since mechanical brakes!!

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

I can send away for one. Summit has them. Just wanted to find one at a local supply.

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

if you can find an old switch just make the plunger not depress, ie glue it, solder it, etc would work just as well

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

You can also get the factory tool on the Kent tool Web site and other vendors. It is still in current use and fits a huge # of vehicles.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Just to update this. I have been bleeding brakes on the Cherokee for some time. Doesn't matter where the prop valve is. As long as I use a mityvac pump it takes 20 seconds and about 10 pumps to start the flow on the right rear brake bleeder. After that just bleed normally all the way around.