Rear passenger body mount captive nut broke

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ShagWagon

Rear passenger body mount captive nut broke

Post by ShagWagon »

Rear passenger body mount captive nut broke loose.

I installed a body mount kit. All went well until the very last one one the passenger side rear. The captive nut came loose. I tried jamming any and every thing I could to brace it to no avail.

Studied up on here and got my hole saw and 3-1 oil out to make an access hole but come to find I'd be drilling out my tailgate mounting bolt holes.

This can't be right.

Anyone else deal with this and have a better solution?
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

SJTD

Re: Rear passenger body mount captive nut broke

Post by SJTD »

Just measured mine. Mount bolt is about 4.9" from the tailgate opening wall. Nowhere near the hinge.

Got a pic if you need it but we're packing up for a trip. Be tonight before I can upload it.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

I also had this issue when dealing with body damage... you can see the welds underneath if you can jack the body up....cut it out from bottom then drill and tap new nut I did mine 2 inches longer than original... and just let them float.
I was fortunate to be replacing that whole back channel so i was able to do everything from the top side as you can see in the photo...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Once I had a hole in the body I drilled the bolt. It was sort of concave on the end so the drill pretty much went down the center. I drilled it with the size for the 5/16 tap and was able to get it out without damaging the nut plate so I could reuse it.

Some of them unscrewed after drilling.

Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Thanks guys!

The plan of attack will be to go in from underneath and cut a u shape in bracket with my sawzall/Drexel, bend it down, then bend it back after serviced as was offered advice from babywags....
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.