Squeaky speedometer

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Squeaky speedometer

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

So I've noticed the last couple days I've been without the radio that my speedometer is squeaking. Just wondering if there are any difficulties to pull the cluster and what do you guys use to lube yours? Figure it's easier to lube now than replace the cable when it breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheapthrills

Re: Squeaky speedometer

Post by Cheapthrills »

It's probably better to just replace it it's cheap and your already in there....
Just my opinion ....

If your set on it I'd use BG inforce . It's great stuff to have in the garage!!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Cheapthrills wrote:It's probably better to just replace it it's cheap and your already in there....
Just my opinion ....

If your set on it I'd use BG inforce . It's great stuff to have in the garage!!!

I have some of that... I remember it being a thinner penetrant, no? I also have some fluid film I had thought may work. I used it on my door locks and windows and it works pretty well. Part thin for penetrating and leaves a residue. Reminds me of motorcycle chain lube really...

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

I like it because it doesn't attract dirt....
But speaking of chain lube a wax based chain lube would work well...
Hit up your local bicycle shop they will have good stuff

htfiremedic

Post by htfiremedic »

I have used several things over the years. Graphite(ok but messy and hard to slide the length of the cable, white lithium(meh, not bad), standard grease (thick but works), camper slide out dry lube(good stuff and doesn't collect goo), WD40 but the usual WD issues, and 3 in 1 oil (probably the best).
The hardest part is to get the oil/grease/lube (love that word) through the cable length. Some type of pressurized measures could be used(air, etc.)
The gauge cluster is ok to remove, it may be squeaking at the back side of it.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Supposed to be graphite but.... if someone has already used a liquid lube the it will be sticky with graphite.

So if it's dry then graphite it. Just pull the cable and dump down it and tap till it goes all the way through.

If greasing... motorcycles use a grease gun type gadget for cable lubing.

I got squeaky one too when I drive the first few miles, then goes away. I replaced my lower one with my part truck one because the cable was frayed by the transfer case. It's still there so I'll work on the upper cable next time I'm in there.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.