Intermittent dieseling

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
dodgerammit

Intermittent dieseling

Post by dodgerammit »

Hello all. As of late, I have ditched the electric pump in favor of originality.

Since then, I have noticed an occasional dieseling scenario. Every few shut offs, the engine will sputter a time or two before stopping.

Otherwise, everything is running fine. Temps are about the same the last few days. Mid 80s to low 90s.

What should I be checking out?

Thanks.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Tatsadasayago

Re: Intermittent dieseling

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Dieseling is a result of excessive cylinder head temperatures. The exhaust valves may be running hot and when you shut the engine down they act like glow plugs. Running too lean is the usual cause and that can be fixed with some carb tuning. Since it sounds like this problem arose after going back to a mechanical pump, I'd suggest that your float level has dropped due to lower fuel pressure. Reading your spark plugs will tell you quite a bit and I suggest doing that first. If you see grey or white on the plug instead of a tan/orange your engine is running too lean. If they are tan to dark brown, I suggest you read further.

Sometimes it's carbon buildup in the chambers that's the culprit. This is often caused by ring or valve guide oil leakage into the chambers. This can sometimes be corrected by using the Water Injection Cleaning Method.
For a short period of time, pouring a small but steady stream of water into the carb while running the engine at 2500 RPM will increase the cylinder pressures significantly and often breaks carbon deposits loose. You don't drown the engine, but as you pour out a 12-16 ounce bottle, the RPM should drop about 500 or so. The duration of the pour should be short. There is a risk of damage to the rings and valves if you pour too much water too fast so you have to find the balance between pour rate and duration. Listen to the engine as it will tell you when you are pouring too much too fast as it will begin to shudder.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Curly

Post by Curly »

Check your idle speed. Idling too high will also lead to dieseling.
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

az chip

Post by az chip »

Did you just install a new ignition? May need the diode in the alt wire.

*You installed a streetfire. Check instructions for adding the diode to the alternator wire*
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Curly wrote:Check your idle speed. Idling too high will also lead to dieseling.
I'll play with my idle first. If it continues, I'll pull the plugs (installed less than 800 miles ago) and give them a look.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

az chip wrote:Did you just install a new ignition? May need the diode in the alt wire.

*You installed a streetfire. Check instructions for adding the diode to the alternator wire*
No, no. That doesn't cause dieseling. That gives you run on.... indefinitely. lol :D

az chip

Post by az chip »

dodgerammit wrote:
az chip wrote:Did you just install a new ignition? May need the diode in the alt wire.

No, no. That doesn't cause dieseling. That gives you run on.... indefinitely. lol :D
Some people confuse the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Pulled a plug. No dark coloring and no white. Just a small area of orange/light tan. I backed the idle off a bit more and drove it just now. After setting timing with a vac gauge, the engine was nice and warm. 3 shut downs with no dieseling. Hope to be good to go. Thanks all

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

If idle mixture isn't correct your idle screw will have to be too far open and will cause dieseling. Not enough base timing can cause too. Throttle plates shouldn't be very far open at all. Causes carb to run off of main circuit instead of idle circuit. If you're on a higher altitude youll need 15degrees base timing.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition