Weak door lock and window motors

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
jberke

Weak door lock and window motors

Post by jberke »

Hi all,

Wanted to post this before I start taking things apart. When I use the driver's side door lock, most locks actuate, but one does it intermittently. Sometimes unlocks, sometimes doesn't. Also, there are two power windows that are very slow to raise. My initial thought is that these are both due to dirty switches and a good cleanup will work wonders. I'm hoping it isn't the actuators or motors, but I haven't ruled out replacing them. Am I on the right path or should I just replace these?

Thanks!

ShagWagon

Re: Weak door lock and window motors

Post by ShagWagon »

Your on the right path.

Most problems are dirty corroded switches. Qtip and some marvel mystery oil or favorite corrosion cleaner and go to town. Lots of small pieces so get a box or something enclosed to do your work so you don't lose any small springs and pins.

Get some syl-glide to lube everything up for windows, channels and actuators. Check the window channels.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

letank

Post by letank »

for the window motors, check each ground, they are usually a bit dirty, rusted...

as for the switches, I am at a loss, I cleaned but I have a similar issue, driver's door switch does not unlock driver's door, but passenger switch unlocks driver's door...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Electric locks have to have a motor (solenoid) that causes the action. I would also look at the condition of those motors, with an eye to cleaning and lubrication.

The best contact cleaner is Caig DeOxit. "Technician in a can."
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I need to sit down with mine and clean them real good. Lube everything and such.
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
jberke

Post by jberke »

Thanks all, have a good project this weekend!

KiwiWagoneer

Post by KiwiWagoneer »

I was having similar issues with the door locks - did the drivers door lock today with a bit of WD40 on all the mechanical parts, instant improvement with very little effort, central locking now works as does the key. I'd recommend one of those panel remover tools though - had one this time and it is a much easer / safer way to wrench off the panels.
-------------------------------------------
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

They have a nylon prybar tool kit. Used mainly for interior pieces so you don't scratch them.

Probably the best $2.99 I ever spent at harbor freight 9 years ago.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.