Heater core box, I think.

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
prospector

Heater core box, I think.

Post by prospector »

The giant triangular box under the hood of my wag (passenger side firewall) is making it hard for me to change the number 8 spark plug, I'm getting annoyed by it. How can I scrap it but still keep the heater core, I have no use for any of the a/c stuff, but I'll need the heater. Guess I'd rather be hot than cold. Anyone done this on the cheap?

Tatsadasayago

Re: Heater core box, I think.

Post by Tatsadasayago »

That's the heater/AC air box and you kinda need it.

You could save yourself a pile of effort and frustration by simply using a spark plug socket like this:
Put it on the plug and screw it in. Take the appropriate box end wrench and use it to tighten the plug.

Trust me, you're aren't the only one who hates the number 8 plug.

The other helpful spark plug tool is a Flexi-socket and extension like this one.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Get it from underneath. That's how I do mine.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

I second this motion....
And fyi your A/C has zero to do with your heat system... the A/C is set up like an aftermarket (standalone) system

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

2 nuts up behind the passenger side dash and 2 nuts in the engine compartment and It'll come free and you can flop it over near the battery.

The under dash AC covers the 2 inside nuts, but if you don't have that its a 30 second job.

-Charles

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

Decision made, it's gone. I'll fashion a small air box for the heater core outta sheet metal and pop-rivet it to the firewall, all that a/c stuff is scrap. I'll keep the compressor for OBA, but there's no need for such a large air box. I'm gonna start on a cowl induction setup pretty soon, that'll require cutting into the firewall, and that air box will just make the job even more difficult. Thanks for the input guys.

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

Well, upon further inspection it looks like the heater core sits out farther forward than the firewall. What I need to know is what does the inside of that box look like, what all's in there? Help.

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

Cheapthrills wrote:I second this motion....
And fyi your A/C has zero to do with your heat system... the A/C is set up like an aftermarket (standalone) system

But since the box has both the heater core AND a/c lines going to it, they ARE inter-related, they both share vents too. But what is INSIDE the box is what I need to know.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

This is the entire heating system.
The heater core is at an angle and does extend forward of the firewall.
Directly above the vacuum motor you can see two rectangular gaskets and they seal the ducting and heater core box to the firewall.

Like I said earlier, using a plug socket and wrench is less hassle than tearing up your heater box...
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Image

This is the entire heating system.
The heater core is at an angle and does extend forward of the firewall.
Directly above the vacuum motor you can see two rectangular gaskets and they seal the ducting and heater core box to the firewall.

Like I said earlier, using a plug socket and wrench is less hassle than tearing up your heater box...
Oooo awesomness!! This is great. You're my new FSJ best friend EVER! I would swear there were a couple of a/c hoses going into the box, hmmm. Well, I'll look again later, my eyes are not what they used to be.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Oooo awesomness!! This is great. You're my new FSJ best friend EVER!
LOL
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

What kind of jeep is this?

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

those are the water lines going to the heater core from the radiator..
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

The AC and heater systems on these rigs are two completely separate systems. They share no ducting or housing. Heck they even have separate blower motors and controls. The AC hoses go through the firewall under the heater box to the under dash AC unit. The two hoses going to the heater box are coolant hoses from the engine.
As posted above. It is far easier to R&R a spark plug with a wrench or from underneath than it is to hack out your heater system.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

The other two hoses are a/c hoses, but they're long and loop under part of the box, I thought they went into the box but it just looked that way, my mistake.
So if the heater and a/c are completely unrelated, and share no components, where is the air blower located for the a/c?
Cause when the a/c is on and it's blowing, the heaters blower motor is running??

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Under the dash on top of the AC box.

What year is yours? Up until the final version they had totally separate controls.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Yes, there is a separate squirrel cage blower for the AC. Heat and air don't even travel in the same ducts, with the AC duct hanging below the dash.

I expect this design dates back to the early 60s origins of the Wagoneer, when air conditioning was not routinely sold with cars. Jeep had a dealer-installed air conditioning package that hung below the dash and could be added at time of sale, as well as factory air. Factory air looked pretty much like dealer air ... except it was installed at the factory. Some parts are different, to allow easy installation on a fully-assembled car, but its mostly the same. Dealer air was still around in the 70s, and AMC called these packages "American Air." I don't know what Kaiser called its AC package - that was before I was old enough to be interested in cars the way I was in the 70s.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

SJTD wrote:Under the dash on top of the AC box.

What year is yours? Up until the final version they had totally separate controls.
1979 360ci. Okay tgreese, I'll get into the dash. I was watching "Roadkill" and they found a '72 wagoneer to rescue, it had a flat airbox under the hood that was about half the size of mine and there was all kinds of room to get to the number 8 spark plug, same engine too, AMC 360. That is what I want, I have a small sheet metal brake and my idea is to use the left half of my box, and make a smaller right half out of sheet metal. Of course I'll use a good gasket putty and make it all air tight and everything. I have big hands and that number 8 is a son of a biscuit, no way to get to it from below, it's not impossible, but just a royal pita.

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

Heater core is really easy to remove, not a bad idea either as you'll probably have 30 years of leaves in it too
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

I'm not sure, but I have a suspicion they (AMC) went to a larger heater core, that's the only thing I can think of for them enlarging the airbox. I'll run an F-150 heater core, or something similar if I have to, but the big box has gotta go, it'll help release underhood heat too.