85 Wiper wiring issue

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
arlingtonslim

85 Wiper wiring issue

Post by arlingtonslim »

Working on getting my 85 J20 /360 V8 finally on the road. I'm just short fixing the wipers and the gas gauge. The problem I have is that with the wiper switch mounted in the dash the wipers work once and quit until you mess with the switch. With the switch hanging from the harness under the dash, the wipers work fine on one speed. If I touch the switch or the wire off the switch to the dash you can see current spark between the two and the wipers quit and the under dash courtesy lights dim.

There doesn't appear to be a factory intermittent wiper delay module in between the harness and the switch (crescent moon harness). The switch does have the wire hanging off of it which I'm guessing makes it a intermittent switch. Original switch which looks like a 5758904 3BA (last 2 numbers are hard to read)

Wiper motor works jumped to the battery. I forget how many speeds. 2 if I recall.

Ran a ground jumper from where the heater motor grounds to the wiper motor housing.

Tried jumpers cables from battery ground to engine, and engine to body. No change.

Switch hanging under the dash I have power with key on to the pink w/black stripe wire all of the time.
I get power using the switch through the blue with white stripe(would guess is High)

No power through black or yellow with black stripe wires.

Is this problem because I have a intermittent switch without it going through a module? Do I need to either find a module, or get a non-intermittent switch.....or is this a shorted out/cut wire problem?

Suggestions?
85 J20/360 amc
91.5 Dodge 250 Cummins intercooled 4X4
79 International Scout II with a P-Pump 95 5.9 Cummins.