PS pump HP hoses access for removal

Stock FSJ Tech Area

babywag

Re: PS pump HP hoses access for removal

Post by babywag »

You buy one now new before you're done w/ school and it'll be obsolete before you ever start to use it...
Sure nice to have but being broke and in school how much are you going to benefit from actually owning it?
Spend your $ on tools that will help you work faster and actually make $.

A $75 bluetooth scanner from scantool coupled with a phone/tablet. Is a very powerful tool for someone just starting out.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

babywag wrote:You buy one now new before you're done w/ school and it'll be obsolete before you ever start to use it...
Sure nice to have but being broke and in school how much are you going to benefit from actually owning it?
Spend your $ on tools that will help you work faster and actually make $.

A $75 bluetooth scanner from scantool coupled with a phone/tablet. Is a very powerful tool for someone just starting out.
We won't have the option to buy before school is almost done so I have 17 more months (give or take) before I have to decide. What I really need to do is spend a week in my shipping container (storage) and start filtering through my stuff. Separate the good tools I have from the cheap junk. Make a list of what I have that could support daily use and any holes in the collection. 30+ years of buying tools plus the stuff inherited from dad makes for a lot of work organizing. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

If I had to buy a scan tool today, and it had to be from the fap-off truck, this is what I would choose.

https://store.snapon.com/MICROSCAN-174- ... 51503.aspx

Three parameter monitoring, advanced engine codes for GM and stuff. Obd 1 adapters included. Android based isntead of Windows XP.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

tedlovesjeeps71

Nikkormat wrote:If I had to buy a scan tool today, and it had to be from the fap-off truck, this is what I would choose.

https://store.snapon.com/MICROSCAN-174- ... 51503.aspx

Three parameter monitoring, advanced engine codes for GM and stuff. Obd 1 adapters included. Android based isntead of Windows XP.
That's an interesting option. I believe BP is owned by Snap-on so it may be possible.
What use is a scan tool for tbi conversions? Any?

babywag

Post by babywag »

a scantool like discussed above with gm tbi is of very little use.
$10 usb and laptop/tablet + software and set for anything like early GM OBDI stuff.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

tedlovesjeeps71

babywag wrote:a scantool like discussed above with gm tbi is of very little use.
$10 usb and laptop/tablet + software and set for anything like early GM OBDI stuff.
Thanks, was just kinda curious.

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

babywag wrote:a scantool like discussed above with gm tbi is of very little use.
The scan tool probably needs updates at some point, during the usual 3 or 5 year warranty people will go to the dealership which has the brand scanner.

The indie are the one who are/were getting abused so that pushed for OBDII to be in place for year 97 model.

That was the beauty of Renix, no scan, Renix did not throw codes, so a voltmeter, aka DMM was all that was needed.

In the end, no matter what or how was the training, after 5 to 7 years the technology will be so different that the essence of repair is to understand what the problem is. When I attended the welding class, next bay was the automotive class, and the teachers could not help one of their colleague to debug issues with a volvo, or a grand cherokee... One of my friend vehicle has some trany probs, the dealer said to replace the trans, the indie that has been in business for this brand for over 30 years, cannot find anything... it drives very well, but after a while trany fluid pukes out of the vent... yes I went to the user's forum... and it is not easy to fiddle with those luxo sedan.

Yes it is raining, not a good day to fiddle on the PS hose or unit...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

A little 2 min work with the dremel tool and we are in business

and it is 16mm (.629), which is 5/8 (.625) in my case, but the vatozone wrench is a perfect fit, to wet to crawl and inspect for oowzing today.

Yes, it is a bit oily all over... pict with a good light is a true observation of the state of the pump
Michel

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Pretty good redneck engineering there!

I had two different sizes of wrench fittings on my part truck and driver when i switched.

One was 11/6 and I can't recall the other size. I put two different wrenches on em both when I compared them.

Both of the threads were the same on the business end though.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

tedlovesjeeps71

letank wrote:A little 2 min work with the dremel tool and we are in business

and it is 16mm (.629), which is 5/8 (.625) in my case, but the vatozone wrench is a perfect fit, to wet to crawl and inspect for oowzing today.

Yes, it is a bit oily all over... pict with a good light is a true observation of the state of the pump
While that works, please paint the thing a bright color or keep it away from you non-modified tools. It will break if you try and use it for something else and can cause an injury. Not being a downer, just offering some caution. Most of us have modified or made a tool to do something. It's a big no no in the OSHA world.

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
letank wrote:A little 2 min work with the dremel tool and we are in business

While that works, please paint the thing a bright color or keep it away from you non-modified tools. It will break if you try and use it for something else and can cause an injury. Not being a downer, just offering some caution. Most of us have modified or made a tool to do something. It's a big no no in the OSHA world.

Good point on the safety issue, I should have cut off the gap in the center, fortunately, I always have glasses, and my adult children are not in the car wrenching hobby... but spray paint will be applied, or may be a tag -use at your own risk- not only this tool can kill you, but it will hurt the whole time until your die-
Michel

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

ShagWagon wrote:
Removal I undid the bottom line, then removed the pump and,pulled hose through the bracket out the front still connected.

Make sure the first bend on the steel line points towards the top of your fender at an 11:00 position so your hose is out of the header and zip tie your return away from the heat too.
Thank you, it did help -the only way to do it, there is no room to wiggle the pump forward because of the upper elbow of the high pressure hose being 1/4" from the PS bracket...

I managed to sneak some needle nose wise grip between the upper bracket and the pump body, in fact the o-ring was flatened beyond o shape... so I replaced the o-ring, will see in the am if leak or no leak... My HP hose is some aftermarket like the one on excavators, HD braid on the outside

Michel

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

finally used an AC green o-ring, no leaks for the last 4 days

Michel

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

So a little update, still no leak at the fitting, but the PS filter that I decided to use to filter gave up the ghost and spilled PS fluid at a slow rate which I did not notice until taking a sharp turn and realized that there was no more power in the "steering", by the time I could pull over, the red fluid was lathered all over the frame.
So avoid the magna-oure PS filter, the filter flew off upon removal, it is merely hold together by a skinny snap ring. No pict of the filter, it flew off upon dismantling.

Michel