What steering column is this?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Starlight

What steering column is this?

Post by Starlight »

I have an 1982 J10 that the ignition switch went out on with the previous owner, in the middle of no where so he jerry rigged it and in doing so cut a large hole on the left side of the steering-column. I installed a universal ignition switch on the dash in the mean, time after I acquired the truck, but want to put back a "new" column with the standard on-the-column ignition switch at some point. I think it's a GM column, but am not sure. Does anyone know from what manufacture is the steering-column for this year and what years columns will work for my truck? Thank you.

Tatsadasayago

Re: What steering column is this?

Post by Tatsadasayago »

As far as I know, the 82s still used the GM designed column with a Mopar style key and lock cylinder.
The way to spot the later Mopar columns (86+?)is the muliti-function T/S switch and the bulge on the left side where the switch goes into the housing.

If memory serves, you can take a mid-70s+ GM car/pickup column, change the lower shaft, firewall mounting plate, lock cylinder and wheel to get your jeep back to normal. Station wagons, big cars and pickups are your best source.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

I have a column from a 80 Wagon that should be the same if interested PM me.

yz400e

Post by yz400e »

I put a tilt telescope column from a Delta 88 in my '72 j2000 . Was almost a direct bolt in. It was a long time ago but I know I had to do some work on the firewall and at the dash but I keep thinking it was a direct match under the hood. The sector was out of a matador. Don't know if that is why or not . I was pretty young then and was winging it.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

yz, you jogged my memory with that comment.
I vaguely remember some of the GM columns having a three hole dash mount and I simply ignored the third one...or swapped in the two-hole bracket from the jeep column. 30 years does dim the memory a bit.

derf

Post by derf »

Tatsadasayago wrote:As far as I know, the 82s still used the GM designed column with a Mopar style key and lock cylinder.
The way to spot the later Mopar columns (86+?)is the muliti-function T/S switch and the bulge on the left side where the switch goes into the housing.

If memory serves, you can take a mid-70s+ GM car/pickup column, change the lower shaft, firewall mounting plate, lock cylinder and wheel to get your jeep back to normal. Station wagons, big cars and pickups are your best source.
FWIW, my '86 had a GM style column with a GM style key. I rebuilt it to remove the automatic shifter and was able to interchange the lower from another GM style column (without the automatic shifter) and all of the top half (above the tilt mechanism) bolted right up.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Yes derf, it was soon after ChryCo completed the full transfer from AMC that they changed the columns. I think the change happened in the 87 model year.

derf

Post by derf »

My point was more about the GM key over the Mopar key.

yz400e

Post by yz400e »

Tatsadasayago wrote:yz, you jogged my memory with that comment.
I vaguely remember some of the GM columns having a three hole dash mount and I simply ignored the third one...or swapped in the two-hole bracket from the jeep column. 30 years does dim the memory a bit.
Yeah, that's right.. 2 vs 3 holes at the firewall which i think later drilled and put a bolt in. I think just 2 would have been sufficient.

Jeep Stupid

Post by Jeep Stupid »

69 to 86 gm works. If they are to long just drill the collapse section and put brass bolts in to allow it to collapse in a collision. If you go with a tilt the wiring will need to be flipped over. Same key switch with rod on column but if you get a tilt it will cost more Ha Ha. Get a auto with a tilt and cut the shifter off and cover it with a small piece of metal and paint. A cheap column with tilt out of (Buick LaSalle) any gm or jeep will work with little to no difference. I have put tilts in just about ever GM or Jeep I have owned for the most I have paid is 75 dollars.
I have now 71 jeep commando, 75 cj5 401 (stupid), 79 cj5 258, 82 cj8 258 auto Laredo, 77 360 Wagoneer, and 78 J20 401, had 5 cj5's 2 commandos, 1 cj7 and 1 Cherokee 1 TJ and 1 wrangler unlimited four door.

Rod2

Post by Rod2 »

I have a '77 Firebird tilt column in mine. As posted above, I had to change the firewall plate; but lock ring, wiring, steering wheel, key cylinder, and coupling all matched. Since it was a floor shift and mine is a manual, I didn't have to patch the column shift hole.
'73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn lock-o-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, tilt column from '77 Firebird, 12000 MileMarker on cradle, hitch receiver on both ends

Topic author
Starlight

Post by Starlight »

Thanks everyone, for the info.