Need ignition module and coil help

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ShagWagon

Need ignition module and coil help

Post by ShagWagon »

Spark seems to have died to my distributor so I tested by pulling off coil wire and touching to ground and had wife crank over while I looked for spark.,none.

So I pulled the coil and ignition module from my parts rig to put into my driver and test each component to see if it will solve the issue. BUT they seem to be different. The coil is about 1/2" longer and the module is different too. Says hi performance on the side. Also PO had the coil wires fastened by electrical clamps to the top modules on the coil with the cap on the other side seemingly for uselessness because it's not hooked to anything.

I don't know much here. Just found out what an ignition modules is yesterday.

My concern is installing this coil and ignition module and frying something because it's different and I don't know any better. I thought I better stop at this point and ask for help if it's compatible to install this coil and module.

My hope is to install it and isolate what the problem is so I can get on the road again, and I think upgrade is in order if I can get some advice what an upgrade is that would be compatible with future fuel injection project soon as I figure out what best route for fuel injection is too.

Here's side by side. Original on on left questionable one on right. Also what's the little module bolted onto the side of the coil for?

Here's the one from parts jeep

The one currently mounted

And the contacts on the plugs on the aftermarket one just for fun. The tabs broke off with .0234 lbs of pressure.

Thanks in advance!
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

chevelleguy

Re: Need ignition module and coil help

Post by chevelleguy »

Everything you have is interchangeable but you need to clean those connections up. The green funk is pretty common but needs to be removed to make a good connection. The little round cylinder mounted to your coil is a condenser and I believe it is to reduce radio noise. Another common part to fail is the pickup coil that is inside the distributor. All parts are still available new at your local auto parts store, try to get the best quality ones they offer, even then it's a gamble. I got a Borg Warner pickup coil 10 years ago, had to warranty it out the next day as it would fail when it got hot. Ignition module (the aluminum box) went out a couple of years ago while out of town. Bought the best one they had and have been lucky so far.
David
'83 Wag Limited, 360/727/pinned 229/D44 front/AMC20,lockrite,rear/6" BJ lift w/ 35/12.50/15 M/T Baja MTZ/ Pro-Jection EFI.

'16 Camaro SS
'98 STX1100 Jet ski
'96 ZXi 1100 Jet ski
'90 KDX 200

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Thanks fort he reply I just needed the go ahead confirmation because they were different and was wired differently and labeled way different, different size, country etc.... I was almost certain interchangeable but not quite :)

Ya I was for sure gonna clean up the plug looked like it went through the ocean.

The plan now is to see if one of these failed, which one it was, and then get a new one and use the one that works for a spare.

I grounded the wire between the coil and distributor 1/8 from ground to look for a spark jump beforehand as a test (hope I did it right) to hopefully isolate problem before the distributor.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

VICTORY!!!

I put n other coil, cranked a bit, nothing.

Cleaned up the plug, played hell getting the other plugs off because of clamps which I broke one off each side, cleaned all contacts on harness side, plugged in hi performance one. Fired right up!

Only took bout an hour because you guys helped and I'm slow.

Couple days ago motor started pulsing idle a little bit and stalling some. Has some carb issues so I was figuring something there. I took a trip to the dmv in it to test it and stopped at the hardware store and came out to start it and it wouldn't start and smelled like gas. So I sat for 10 min or so and tried again thought it was flooded. Didn't start. Got out checked the carb it was getting gas, got back in it started for like 5 seconds then shut right off. I was thinking something clogging fuel somewhere let it sit ten more minutes then it started ran for a minute so I figured get home..... Died several times before dead on road. I had no tools so called AAA and towed home.

Bought a fuel filter because I did a lot of work in gas tank since I got it and was thinking crud buildup in filter had to be changed anyways. Checked fuel pump, then for spark. None so I just learned up some here and there and google images etc....

Jeep on!

comet the dog

Post by comet the dog »

If you can afford it, keep a spare electronic module in the car with you. They're common for just giving up, and it'll happen at the worst possible time in the worst possible place.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Yes. I'm gong to replace it and put the old one in the cubby in back. Just need to figure out what kind I'm going to replace it with.....

FrozenCajunAK

Post by FrozenCajunAK »

This may have been mentioned before on this board, but it bears repeating. That old DuraCrap style module and oil-filled coil are only going to just get you so far. If you are wanting to get a little more performance and efficiency out of your engine on the cheap, do the TFI upgrade. It's a simple mod that you can do for a reasonable price. You get a Ford TFI (square) coil and a larger cap/adapter/rotor set, replace the wires, and you are done. You can gap the plugs out to about 0.045" and get a little better burn from the engine.

If you really want to do an upgrade, do all of the above and while you are at it, shitcan the DuraCrap module and replace it with an MSD 6-series (mine is an MSD 6AL) ignition box. Your DuraCrap box puts out a measly 12 volts max to the coil when starting and about 10 when it's running. The MSD box throws a healthy 500 VDC charge at the coil allowing the coil to deliver between 40,000 and 50,000 volts of energy to the plugs. No ballast resistor required. The MSD is known as a capacitive discharge ignition (CDI) meaning it uses capacitors to build up the 500-volt charge it delivers to the coil. It makes a difference and you won't have to worry about another DuraCrap box melting all over the inside of your driver's fender thereby leaving you stranded at the worst possible moment.

Here's a link to the TFI mod.
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/J-Truck/tfi.html

It has all of the basic steps and parts for fixing what the factory didn't get right.

AKJ10HYBRID

Post by AKJ10HYBRID »

FrozenCajunAK, where in Alaska (AK) are you in? If you're close itd be nice to do some trailriding with you. We have a our own trailriding crew in Fairbanks, but was just wondering.