Power window switch battle. I lost....

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ShagWagon

Power window switch battle. I lost....

Post by ShagWagon »

First it was wired wrong from PO.

This caused the wires to short out switch, get hot and melt the plastic pins that the wires are connected to.
Note the off center contact in center. This was cause from the wire connected to the back of the pin. No wonder the switch was unplugged and hanging in the door. NP heat it back up with 2 solder irons and center it again and let cool.

Ok so after consultations here in the advanced search function, wiring diagrams, common sense, few bong hits, ask dog for advice the wires are correct.

Get it to work but it wont go to the left on both mirror sides. Went down another level on switch and whatdoyaknow?
Switch plastic is broken. The pin that holds the contact was broken because of plastic fatigue (go figure).... One on my parts donor is broken in the same place.

So I glued the pin hoping it would hold. Did for a minute or so then plastic that holds the pin on other side broke and the plastic just started disintegrating all over the place. Time for a new one.

I lost.....Anyone point me to a good one at a good price?
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Re: Power window switch battle. I lost....

Post by ShagWagon »

Errr I meant power mirror switch. Not power Window switch...

DOh!!!!

Quervo made me do it....
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Welcome to the machine!
I suggest you take a look at the mid 80s Dodge Diplomats and Plymouth Fury's for replacement switches.
I think, that switch was even carried on to the Caravans etc.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Will try thanks. That should,help.

How do I know if it will fit for sure? Is there any cross-reference book somewhere?

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

The only decent one I know of is the Hollander Interchange.
Unless you know someone with the books or software it's kinda expensive.
Most pick n pull yards have the interchange and will often provide a printout for no charge.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

You'd think they'd have a website for this somewhere.

I know often times I've gone junkyarding there's always been a helpful friendly sales associate behind the counter with the book, and he seems to find a cross part that will fit from a different model or something.

You could never find a GrandmWagoneer steering column for under $500 but I'm sure you could find a Monte Carlo one or 25 other models for $80 if you knew that it's the same one.

Oldmanwag

Post by Oldmanwag »

I'm trying a new solution. Remove the motor from the back of the power mirror and replace with a unit that has total of 4 prong (2 motors instead of the 1 we have). Then replace the switch with a 4 prong switch. It appears to be the only way to save the aesthetic look and keep convenience. Trying a Jag XJ6 passenger power mirror. They are cheap $20 each on Ebay. Switch is actually dual - 2 joysticks and looks kind of retro and clean for $40. If it breaks I know I can find another one on line cheap, instead of waiting forever for an ill designed AMC product that is destined to break.