T-18 in the driveway

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
tgreese

Re: T-18 in the driveway

Post by tgreese »

Ok, back to this after a month of delay waiting for parts.

I ordered my parts from RockAuto, including what should have been a new Timken input bearing. Note that T-18s use one of two different input bearings, a thin bearing that is 20mm thick (early, what I have) and a thick bearing that is 23mm thick.

The Timken bearing is still listed on their site as 20mm in thickness. What I got was a 23mm thick bearing. Right box, wrong bearing. I contacted them and described the problem, and I exchanged it for another example of the same Timken PN. Same part, wrong thickness. At this point RockAuto gives up, says to send the second example back and we can do nothing more for you.

I've bought T-18 parts from Parts Mike before, with good result, so I called them and bought both the input and output. I asked if these would be quality bearings and their rep said they were sending quality Japanese bearings. What I received was a Japanese bearing for the output and a Chinese bearing for the input. The Japanese bearing seems fine, but the Chinese bearing had a distinct rumble. I called Parts Mike and complained, and they said they'd look into it.

So, they claim that no one but Chinese aftermarket is now making the input bearing for the T-15 and 'early' T-18 (Jeep PN 448 8141). However, their drop shipper (Transtar) offered to go through their stock and pick out one that felt smooth. I said ok - they would ship me another bearing and did not ask for the rough bearing back. Another week passes, and no bearing. I call, and they take a message and say they will call back. I call again two days later, and they say it should arrive July 1. It did, it's indeed a lot better than the first bearing I got.

So the transmission is back together now.

The black steel pipe is my improvised bearing driver that I made from 1 1/4" black steel pipe. Aside from putting the pieces together, I had to grind out the threads on the coupling by about 80 thou, but it works great. The pipe cap on the end gives you something to hammer against, and with a 12" nipple makes the driver long enough to drive the input bearing home. Works on the output side too.

Another complaint about the Chinese bearing - it comes with a snap ring, but the ring is slightly too large to fit under the bearing retainer. I only discovered this after I had driven the bearing on. Fortunately I was able to remove the Chinese ring with the bearing in place and substitute the ring from the original bearing, then the retainer fit fine.

I also got a new cross member to replace the cracked and booger-welded original -

Thanks Ben!
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Mike is a good guy and I am surprised you got the run-a-round.
I'll call his Dad and tell him to put the boots to his kid! :P

I was going to mention to use the original snap ring as I've run into the same issue with the Kung-Pow bearing sets.

Looking good Tim!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Thanks!

Anther minor comment that may be helpful to someone. The manual says to use petroleum jelly to hold parts in place for assembly. I used this grease specifically for this purpose - http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-185/Dr.+Tra ... emblee+Goo This stuff is a lot stickier than vaseline and works great to hold stuff in place for assembly. Use plenty on the pocket bearing and spacer, and liberally glue the 3-4 blocking ring into the synchro hub for assembly. You don't want the blocking ring to move while you are driving the input bearing in.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Did you try finding the bearing by the size from a bearing supplier rather than a parts store?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I tried searching online listings of bearing suppliers for a bearing by spec. I found the listing for the Fafnir bearing that came in the Timken box that RockAuto sent me twice. I found other places that were selling the same Timken bearing that list its spec and app wrong. I found transmission part retailers that are selling a bearing of unknown origin for this app. Crown also sells a part for this app, but it's probably the same part I ended up with.

Did I go to a storefront that sells bearings, asking for this part? No. I considered enlisting my helpful local olde tyme parts store in the search, but I think they would not have done better than I could do.

I believe Transtar that there's currently no other source for this bearing than the Chinese import. There may NOS from some other supplier somewhere, but there's only a chance of that and I wouldn't know where to start.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I forgot to mention Inland Truck Parts. They have never done me wrong with bearings etc.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You mentioned them in connection to the pocket bearing parts. Maybe I should have called.

Didn't get ATF, and lost the brake cable nuts somewhere ... time to stop for the day.

Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Any progress?
Also, what is that contraption to the left in your last picture? The thing with all the hoses going to it. Selector valve for dual fuel tanks?
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Topic author
tgreese

Post by tgreese »

HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:Any progress?
Also, what is that contraption to the left in your last picture? The thing with all the hoses going to it. Selector valve for dual fuel tanks?
Finished and been driving it as needed since summer 2016.

Yes, that's an electric valve for the aux tank under the bed. There's a toggle switch on the dash that switches both the gas gauge and the electric valve. The valve switches the tank pickup and the return line. The factory tank needs a new sender so I've been running off the aux tank.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.