Heater vacuum control switch (Repair Tip)

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author

Heater vacuum control switch (Repair Tip)

Post by 243 »

Is this switch available new, and if not, is it rebuildable?
Last edited by 243 on Sat May 28, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

FSJ Guy

Re: Heater vacuum control switch

Post by FSJ Guy »

Ummmm.... For what model year???

And exactly which switch?

If you put your FSJ's specs in your signature file, that will save you from having to type it out each time. :- )
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Details details...'78 Cherokee NT, 360/T400/QT TBI Injected

I am referring to the heat/defrost switch.

letank

Post by letank »

243 wrote:Details details...'78 Cherokee NT, 360/T400/QT TBI Injected

I am referring to the heat/defrost switch.
sometimes one of the screw(s) holding the support for the frame of the control switch on the back of the plate is (are) loose or missing. The result is the impossibility to keep the any position locked.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Years ago I opened one up to see what was inside. IIRC there was a rubberish gasket and a wiper that diverted vacuum.
I scanned the gasket and printed a copy of it. I found the appropriate rubber gasket material, wetted it and placed the paper onto it. This left an ink pattern on the material which I then carefully cut out.
The switch worked like new and probably still does after 20+ years.

As far as replacements, I am unaware of any to be had.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author

Post by 243 »

It won't divert the vacuum, I bet that seal is toast. Thanks

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

If the buttons aren't staying pushed in it's a mechanism issue. Cleaning the arms, springs and races then dosing with penetrating oil usually solves this.
Without looking at mine, I can't remember if the switch was held together with rivets or screws...

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

If the buttons go in but don't hold it is mechanical. That was my problem from sitting so long, 15 years. Lubed the pivots grabbed the bar with the pivot points, wiggled a bit then gently rotated bar down. Got it moving nicely and properly.
If buttons move and lock then go for the gasket replacement.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

X2 on this-I had the same issue. Heat button would stay in but Defrost wouldn't. The valve needs to rotate when the button is pushed in. I lubed it with silicone lube (lots) and then gentle nudged it back and forth. Eventually, it rotated and works perfectly now.
My Stable:
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8, Auto, SelecTrac
1987 Jeep Cherokee (XJ), 4.0L I6, Auto, Selectrac
And a few more....

Topic author

Re: Heater vacuum control switch (Repair Tip)

Post by 243 »

This was a real mind bender, I have worked on it since noon and my last effort was successful.

An hour ago I was ready to go to the pet store and buy an air valve for an aquarium pump and screw it to the dash ;)

Pretty simple switch, one vacuum port and two to pulling the defrost and heater actuators. I had the switch apart at least a dozen times and could hear a slight vacuum leak but it was not pulling even 1Hg on the gauge. I could not see any way that the switch had a gasket because I could see wear marks between the two halves. I tried polishing with Mother's aluminum mag polish, adding a film of grease and nothing worked.

When I pulled the cluster out I used a spring punch to mark the hose ports. I began to think this might have cause a high spot to form so I took a fine flat file and rubbed the area near the pings and noticed a shiny spot.

So I took valve grinding compound and lapped the two halves, then I took 2000 grit wet/dry paper and polished each halve on the glass stove top. I put a fine film of grease on one side and reassembled it. I fired up the engine, connected the lines and it SNAPS those actuators faster than ever.

So, if you peen the valve with a spring punch to mark the hoses this is how you make the repair :D

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Interesting!
Mine had a thin rubber-ish gasket that was paper thin.
Excellent tip with the lapping. :-bd

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

The one I took apart (from a 78) was sealed using something similar to antiseize compound and the flatness of the surfaces.

PS: Adding some oil to that felt disk is all it took to fix the one in my 74.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

crisp90

Post by crisp90 »

I have also this query and happy to find the exact same here.

mx71

Post by mx71 »

My problem with this was two fold, may tri fold. First, my buttons didn't stay in, so I lubed the mechanism and that was fixed. Then, I couldn't switch from dash to floor, and what I did there was sand the vacuum valve with 6000 grit then place some grease on it. After applying the grease, I cleaned out the passageways with a paperclip. Also, one of the vacuum hoses wasn't connected, so I tested and found which vacuum hose went where, and connected them in the correct places. I don't recall the positions off hand, but a vague drawing of it is in the TSM. Then, I fixed all my emissions stuff and it stopped working, and I realized that I accidentally disconnected the vacuum line from the ball, so I did that and it still didn't switch very positively. I then replaced the vacuum line from the ball to the heater valve/switch and it works great now. Lots of little problems with this one, and it would have been great if they just operated this mechanically instead.