Tailgate window sticking on center latch mechanism

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
windover90

Tailgate window sticking on center latch mechanism

Post by windover90 »

Has anybody dealt with this problem? I have a 1981 that has the older gear and arm type window mechanism. When I put the window up and down it catches on the center mechanism for the gate latch.

I had an older Suburban that had a tension wheel that ran on the window to keep it away from the latch parts. I'm wondering if I could do something like that with the Wagon. Any ideas or fixes you have found?

dodgerammit

Re: Tailgate window sticking on center latch mechanism

Post by dodgerammit »

I just bent the bar for the latch. Also, you can adjust the window channels in the tailgate.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

babywag

Post by babywag »

The bar tends to bow/bend if the linkage/latches aren't cleaned & lubed.
Bend it out of the way, and clean/lube the latches etc.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
windover90

Post by windover90 »

Thanks for the pointers! This has been a part of getting my rear window working again, so here's the update on that. I took the latches out and cleaned them up. The tailgate opens a lot easier now. One of the bars did have a noticeable bend in it. I straightened that out. I also took the window mech out, disassembled, cleaned and greased it.
The window base channel that holds the glass was actually hitting the center mechanism that connects the gate handle to the latch bars. I adjusted the window channels as far as possible to get the window away from it. Then, I installed the new inner window wipe that came with the wagon when I bought it. The window wipe holds the window just far enough away to stop it from binding up. So, we have clearance. But the window still makes some horrendous noises when going up and down. Like nails on a chaulk board at different points. I can live with that for now. Thanks again

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Mine is in perfect working order with new everything including serehill's harness, and still shudders and sounds like nails on a chalkboard during operation. As long as nothing hits or binds, you should be good to go.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
windover90

Post by windover90 »

Once I put the access panel back on and the carpet panel, it dampened the noise down a lot. There seems to be plenty of life left in my stock system, so I'll leave it for now, but my ideal set-up would include serehill's harness! : )