Rear leaf springs

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
TeaBag

Rear leaf springs

Post by TeaBag »

Does anybody have a suggestion for replacing rear leaf springs? I would really like stock ride height. I do pull a small boat from time to time and my stock springs SAG a lot in the back when I have a Boat on the hitch. Any suggestions for a spring that can handle the weight of a small boat trailer and still give me stock ride height?

derf

Re: Rear leaf springs

Post by derf »

Add air bags that you can inflate when you are loaded down. That way you're not riding around on really stiff springs when you're not loaded.

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Air-Lift-Rear ... c_179.html

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

derf wrote:Add air bags that you can inflate when you are loaded down. That way you're not riding around on really stiff springs when you're not loaded.

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Air-Lift-Rear ... c_179.html
Or Air Lift shocks. I have a set on my J20 for heavy loads but normally run them at 15 psi...

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Coil over load assist shocks from gabriel. Keeps the vehicle from sagging up to 500lbs of weight in the back or on the hitch. Other brand have up to 1,000lbs but thats a bit too much itll be suppper stiff

I replaced all my springs with oem height springs made in USA and i also installed coil over shocks and it doesnt drop 2-3 inches like it used too when my 300 lbs ass sat on the tailgate.. barely drops half an inch now. The bolt right up no issues, and dont let people tell you itl lcause the shock mounts to bust.. the shock mounts are 3/16th steel welded... thats really thick, thicker then the frame itself.. it wont break lol. Only thing is it makes the ride a bit harsher on bumpy roads with nothing in the trunk.

https://www.autoanything.com/suspension ... ier-shocks
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
TeaBag

Post by TeaBag »

Yup-I have coil overs on all four wheels already and still have a lot of sag in the back with the trailer on. I wonder if the rear leafs are just shot? They look and ride fine with no load on them.

My experience in the past (15 years ago) with air lift shocks is that you have to keep putting air in them all the time which makes them a pain in the ass to deal with imo. Have they gotten a lot better with holding air?
Last edited by TeaBag on Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

derf

Post by derf »

Springs on a 30+ year old truck are going to sag. It may be worth it to start by replacing them.

BJ's has stock height replacement springs. About $150 per rear spring individually or a full set of 4 for $450.

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Stock-Height- ... _1333.html
http://www.bjsoffroad.com/BJs-Off-Road- ... _1301.html

Topic author
TeaBag

Post by TeaBag »

Has anybody installed the ones from BJs? Are they any good. I’m 20 min drive time from TGW-so I could save on shipping with them, however, some of the previous threads indicated that their springs sucked.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Made in ind8a.. 3 leafs and 1 is 3 leaf and 1 overload. I wouldnt get them. Less leafs.. itll hold less weight i bet. And something made in india imo would sag overtime. I wouldnt take the risk.

Get the 4 and 1 made in the usa. 97-485 is the part number... How far is the tongue on your trailer.and ball on the hitch sitting up is it Higher. If that tongue is too high itll put more weight on the rear end. The trailer shouldnt be up in the air on the hitch it will put alot of weight on your rear end.

97-402 or 97-400 are oem stock fronts.. My rear werent sagged too much.. i only gained maybe 1 inch of height. The fronts were bad. I got the 97-402 for the front and gained nearly 3 inches in ride height and thats stock height

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.ph ... s_id=20921

mx71

Post by mx71 »

I replaced all my springs with the stock ones from BJs. They have less springs in the pack than factory, so it's marginally stiffer, but for the price. you can't beat them. I also have rancho RS9000s all the way around, which I run on the softest setting, but I can crank up stiffer if I'm towing something heavy. The springs decide the weight you can tow, but the shocks decide the ride you have while you're towing that weight. They're the best riding shocks I've found that are actually charged, compared to the old school non charged style.

If you don't mind spending more money, go with Alcan stock replacement springs. I've had my BJs ones on for a year and no sagging yet, but it isn't my daily driver either.

Never buy anything from TGW. They're a terrible company.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

candymancan wrote:Made in ind8a.. 3 leafs and 1 is 3 leaf and 1 overload. I wouldnt get them. Less leafs.. itll hold less weight i bet. And something made in india imo would sag overtime. I wouldnt take the risk.
Fewer leaves means stiffer leaves to keep the same spring rate. IF (big if) they're made to the same spring rate, something with fewer leaves is going to ride stiffer. Look at the J-truck springs, some of those only had 2 leaves if I remember right...rode like tanks, too.

All springs are going to sag over time, that's physics. Springs made from inferior materials and processes will likely sag sooner.
mx71 wrote:Never buy anything from TGW. They're a terrible company.
Second that. If you value your time and money, stay away from TGW.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea i used to like them but they stuff they sell is meh at best... i bought the replacement window trim from them for the rear.. it fell apart in less than a year and then i found a stainless trim and gutter set in the salvage yard for $10 lol. Same with their side marker peices.. The plastic fake chrome ones, i ordered 4 of them.. its been maybe 2 years ? and they are faded into a white plastic.. my original ones look better now lol... it sucks. Its not really them per say... it is nice to have a site dedicated to jeep parts for our jeeps.. Its mainly crown and companies that make this stuff. Crown leaf springs are made in india i believe and they are also less pack leaf springs like 4 or 5 in the front and ive read stories of them sagging after a year cecil. Which is why i spent so much time in the past looking for oem leaf springs. I didnt wanna buy stuff made overseas like that.

If crowns springs are made in india/china and sag they im pretty sure BJ's is selling crown springs.. notice they dont list the manufacture name ? Yea

babywag

Post by babywag »

BJ's sells crown for stock springs.
I was pretty annoyed when they showed up.
Normally I ask for manufacturer but gave them benefit of doubt since their lift springs seemed decent enough.

Not only were they drop shipped right from crown they were more $$ and paid shipping. Realized after could of gotten them cheaper w/ free shipping elsewhere.

All on me/my fault should've asked before ordering.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

I generally avoid BJs anymore for that reason alone. They do that a lot. There are plenty of people that are fine with paying the premium for convenience, but it just seems like subterfuge to me as they rarely disclose whose product they're reselling.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yep i didnt even have to buy from thrm to figure that out... as soon as i saw that link in this thread of those springs and no name on the page.. i immediatly thought they were crown.

So since we confirmed they are crown springs... stay away from them and bjs. Get the springs on general spring. Or truckspring or the link i provided.

I can confirm 200% they are made in the USA in PA i forgot the company name but i looked em up and theve been making spring for 100 years. My front and rear were made by them has made in usa stamped snd stickered all over it

Topic author
TeaBag

Post by TeaBag »

Great. Thanks for the info.