Elephant ear mirrors

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author

Elephant ear mirrors

Post by 243 »

I was looking at the 78 Jeep brochure and none of the photos have the big mirrors and I didn't see them listed as options or in the trailer package.

Was this a dealer only item?

Are Fords the closest to stock?
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Maddening

Re: Elephant ear mirrors

Post by Maddening »

Like the ones on this Wagoneer? I think the closest you'll get are some universals: https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towing- ... RxEALw_wcB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1977 J10 - It's BLUE.
2017 JK Rubicon - It's GREEN

Maddening

Post by Maddening »

Better pic of an OEM one on a J10. The single top bar to fit on the sloped top door side could be problematic with a universal type.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1977 J10 - It's BLUE.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Not the tripod mount, I will find a photo.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

This style, maybe what others refer to as west coast style. I am leaning towards factory rectangular chrome mirrors at this point, it would be nice if I could find power mirrors like the Grand Wag but more slim and trim.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

The ones on that green wag are the Ford style, it's what I currently have on my J-10 (I have some evil twin mounts, just not installed yet).
I don't know what your options are for power mirrors, but some mid to late 70s FSJs came with cable operated mirrors, where the joystick moved the mirrors via cables, which was pretty slick.
IMO, all the mirrors that could adjust from the inside were too small. I don't like my Ford style mirrors because even though I put big 1/4" thick backing plates on the bolts, they still vibrate like crazy. West coast mirrors are the old semi truck style that mount both above and below the window. I experimented with a set and hated them, they block too much of my vision being so close to my face.
My humble recommendation is to look into the Chevy style mounting towers one of our members makes. I'm drawing a blank on the name (haven't had my coffee yet).

EDIT>> HAd my coffee, his name is Ross, and here's the link (Sorry Ross):
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =34&t=6327
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Maddening

Post by Maddening »

Ah hah! I see, those ones on the green Waggy are for sure Ford style, not sure they are factory on that Waggy, maybe. But I had the same exact ones on my '78 and '79 Broncos, they are really good, nice and big.

I have the billet mounts REDONE posted a link to from Ross on my J10. The previous owner had put them on but had some homemade arms with YJ mirrors (I think) that bounced like mad on the highway. I just a few weeks ago added 94-97 Dodge Ram mirrors, they fit perfect, are really big, with nice convex pass side, and are far less bouncy, still a little bounce but I can live with it. :)

I got mine on Amazon, made by Dorman, who makes good stuff. They are the manual style, but very affordable and really good quality. http://a.co/d/haK2Qrz You can also get the power ones for the same vehicle, 94-97 Ram and then you'll just have to drill out the bottom of the billet bracket and also the door to run wires through and figure out switches, junkyard probably.
J10_LED.jpg
1977 J10 - It's BLUE.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I guess I have Ford mirrors on my 78, and they vibrate like mad and the mirror is not level which really annoys me so they have to go. I will likely never tow a boat much bigger than the Cherokee and have no plans to pull a TT, don't own one but have a 2500HD for towing.

So I think I will install some factory style chrome rectangular sport mirrors and use a 3" fish eye, never used anything different for 25 years until I bought 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks so it will work fine for the Jeep.

1971J4000

Post by 1971J4000 »

Here is a set of factory on the white 79 Cherokee

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 18&t=15655

If you are interested... please reply to the post in the FSJ Parts Sales section
1971 J4600 with Dauntless 350

mx71

Post by mx71 »

These are the mirrors that came on most 70s FSJs.

http://www.autokrafters.com/p-8552-outs ... 7696f.aspx