motor mounts

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

motor mounts

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

Are there really a difference between them and if so what are your recommendations?

I've seen prices range from $25 a set to over $100 a set.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
Edelbrock intake manifold
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers
2" to thrush muff with 3" tip exhaust

440sixpack

Re: motor mounts

Post by 440sixpack »

The plain basic ones from any parts house are good enough unless you're running a drag Jeep. for that outfits like Schumacher make fail safe ones.

The high performance ones are usually harder and transfer more vibration too.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

The only real problem with the cheap ones is that they're generally pretty poorly made anymore. The rubber tends to come apart pretty easily, and the bolts often pull through the rubber.

For a regular stock setup, find a brand you trust or one with decent reviews and go for it.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

440sixpack wrote:outfits like Schumacher make fail safe ones.
Forgive me for hi-jacking the thread but all I could find on Schumacher's website were Mopar engine mounts. Is there another source for AMC/Jeep mounts?
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

I've got the poly set from BJ's in 3 Jeeps. The first was done about 6 years ago, iirc. The last was 3 weeks. They don't break down like the rubber version. Might be a little more vibration but, I've never noticed it.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

I guess Schumacher is only for Mopar, Mopar is my main thing sometimes I forget there are other brands.

I've run the plain old cheap mounts in lots of rigs and while I know they can fail I haven't had any problem. I guess for $15 a set replace them now and then if you're worried.

Poly should last longer but you're going to get more vibration.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

X2 on the poly mounts from BJs. Use them and you will (most likely) never have to replace them again.

I did not notice any vibration difference, either.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

TeaBag

Post by TeaBag »

I went through 2 sets of rubber ones before installing the poly.

The first set failed after a couple days and the second set failed within the month. In both cases, the rubber had tore away from the metal backing.

I installed a poly set and never had a problem since. I have been running them for over 4 years with no issue.

I would stay away from the cheap rubber ones.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Usual advice is to change out the transmission mount for urethane too, if you install the urethane motor mounts. No expertise, just repeating what I read in earlier posts.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

thank you all for your recommendations! I had forgotten I had posted this so I apologize it took me so long to get back to you guys. looks like its going to poly mounts.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

just curious- I'm rebuilding a 79 J10 and learning as I go. I was intending to replace the motor mounts since the engine is out but they aren't cheap and things are adding up so I'm trying to save where I can. Is there a way to tell if they are shot just by looking at them? I
ll probably replace them anyway since it looks like it would be a nightmare once the engine is back in but thought I would ask. Thanks.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

For what it's worth, the regular motor mounts from Oreillys are improved over the originals. They are (or at least the pair I bought were) made in India instead of China, and the two metal plates hooked around each other inside the rubber. The metal studs would have to break for the mount to fail and let the engine flop up and smack the hood. The OEM mounts relied on the rubber too hold it all together but the new stock replacements, the rubber is just there to dampen vibration.

I dissected one when I was low on patience and high on frustration, that's when I made this discovery.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

REDONE wrote:For what it's worth, the regular motor mounts from Oreillys are improved over the originals. They are (or at least the pair I bought were) made in India instead of China, and the two metal plates hooked around each other inside the rubber. The metal studs would have to break for the mount to fail and let the engine flop up and smack the hood. The OEM mounts relied on the rubber too hold it all together but the new stock replacements, the rubber is just there to dampen vibration.

I dissected one when I was low on patience and high on frustration, that's when I made this discovery.
that's interesting because I was looking at the Oreilly mounts originally as they are pretty affordable but wanted to make sure before purchase they weren't total and complete crap.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

The nicest rubber set I've seen came from Crown Products.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

letank

Post by letank »

Hendo2.5 wrote: Is there a way to tell if they are shot just by looking at them?
when the engine is installed -I know not your case- park the front bumper against a big utility pole, put in drive and have an helper give it a little gas... the engine should stay put, when the motor mount is gone, the engine will try to jump out of the engine bay... the passenger side is one that has most of the stress because of the clockwise rotation, a bit like a single engine propeller plane, the torque makes the plane wander to the rotation side during take off ...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

letank wrote:
Hendo2.5 wrote: Is there a way to tell if they are shot just by looking at them?
when the engine is installed -I know not your case- park the front bumper against a big utility pole, put in drive and have an helper give it a little gas... the engine should stay put, when the motor mount is gone, the engine will try to jump out of the engine bay... the passenger side is one that has most of the stress because of the clockwise rotation, a bit like a single engine propeller plane, the torque makes the plane wander to the rotation side during take off ...

interesting! I know this was directed towards another person but I think we are just replacing them.. why not right?
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

The cheap rubber ones work just fine and last for years. yes they can fail, so can your tires.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

440sixpack wrote:The cheap rubber ones work just fine and last for years. yes they can fail, so can your tires.
Yep. I've seen the old rubber ones fail but often when someone has an issue with repeated failures there's another issue at hand.
When I dissected the brand new mount from Oreillys, it's because I was tired and beyond frustrated trying to get it in and completely mangled the studs, breaking 2x4s that I was using as a lever against the engine (with exhaust still connected like a lazy idiot) to try and line everything up in the dark and rain.

I was surprised to see the design improvement. The studs for the frame mount are pressed through (like wheel studs) a steel plate on top, and the studs for the engine mount are pressed into a steel plate on the bottom. Once I saw that, I stopped wrapping the mounts with steel cable.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

We put the poly mount set in Phoebe II in 2011 after the roll over. There is a little more engine and drive train vibration through the floor and seats but they have held up strong. I found that the rubber ones were giving way on off road adventuring where you twist the old Jeep up. Wally still has rubber. It helps if you are not leaking oil or power steering fluid down the motor across the motor mount(s). In most the failures I have seen the rubber is saturated in dino fluids.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac