Last question, I promise...

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
edognight

Last question, I promise...

Post by edognight »

OK, so I got new tires on the Jeep, she is rollin nice, almost everything is fixed, BUT the 4x4. So the vacuum lines that connect the switch to the front diff were gone (that ran under the left exhaust manifold) and the red line from the coffee can under the hood crumbled in my hand. So,

I got a new switch, so that does seem to work. I guess I will just run new vacuum lines. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I have seen the diagram, but my shift motors look a little different. I took the cover off the front, and used a vacuum pump on the front shift motor, so it does seem to work.

Can I just use auto parts store 5/32" vacuum line? it seems to fit, and hold vacuum when I pump it and hold pressure with my finger tip. I am not exactly sure how to do this...

jfliege

Re: Last question, I promise...

Post by jfliege »

good question! I need to know this too.
87' grand wagoneer with a rusty's 4"
2015 jk unlimited

I love me some Jeeps

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Year/model? Your TSM should have something about it. You've pretty much covered it - connect vacuum from the reservoir to the switch to the axle. Since you only have vacuum for power, the axle needs two connections, one to pull on the shaft and engage, and one to pull on the shaft and disengage.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

Sorry, 1983 jeep wagoneer 360 brogham, 2"lift. There are also the lines to the transfer case, that connect to the front diff. I am not really sure why. I guess there were two different types of option for 4x4 for that year, and I'm not really sure what I have...quadra drive, select drive, I have never understood them.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Check the manual. :banghead:
Last edited by az chip on Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You can read the TSM for an '82 on the http://www.oljeep.com site. Should be pretty close to what an '83 has, since there was only a supplement for 1983. You can buy the complete set at RockAuto on CD-ROM for about $25. http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 64&jsn=372 The types of transfer case will be listed in the book. There is a tag on the transfer case with the type designation. Some of these Jeeps have a vacuum controlled front axle, which would also be covered in the TSM. Sorry if this is too difficult, but open the book and look it up.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

quadra trac is an all time 4wd.. quadra drive is on the newer 99+ grand cherokees. select trac is 2wd to 4wd.

If you had quadra trac then you wont have any switch to change from 2wd to 4wd. it will just be in 4wd all the time.

Quadra trac was only included until 1982 so if yours is an 83 you have a np229 selec trac transfercase
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

You wont find your diagram in the 82 tsm. It was in the 83 supplement. But heres the diagram you need http://oljeep.com/gw/vac/axle/83-84-FSJ ... torial.jpg If I were you I wouldn't even try to re use the old rubber fittings. Just run vac hose from the metal tube right to the motors. Also DONT FORGET the check valves.

One other thing, do you happen to have a picture where the metal vac lines bolt down? When I fixed mine I couldn't find where to bolt it so its zip tied up
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

The metal vac lines bolt up under the front of the left exhaust manifold, (there should be a bracket there, i think it was a 7/16" bolt) but I dont know about the back of the three metal lines. I havent got there yet.

My jeep has select drive or select trac. whatever.

I found that diagram, as well as the diagram that shows the schematic about how the vacuum runs, but it isn't very clear exactly where the lines should be run, like specificially which vent in the shift motor.

For instance, in the front shift motor, if you put a vacuum of about 15psi, on the top vent, it will shift the collor over both axles, and lock the front diff. (I think, don't hold me to this) so, then what, I guess I will just have to figure it out, not exactly sure what I am doing, and a little confused about the transfer case.

But thanks for the help so far.

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

Sorry, I don't have a service manual, that's why I am asking. I have owned and worked on so many different cars, the fsm isnt always an option.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

tgreese wrote:... You can buy the complete set at RockAuto on CD-ROM for about $25. ...
Does not seem like much of a barrier... if you can afford to own the car ...
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

edognight wrote:The metal vac lines bolt up under the front of the left exhaust manifold, (there should be a bracket there, i think it was a 7/16" bolt) but I dont know about the back of the three metal lines. I havent got there yet.

My jeep has select drive or select trac. whatever.

I found that diagram, as well as the diagram that shows the schematic about how the vacuum runs, but it isn't very clear exactly where the lines should be run, like specificially which vent in the shift motor.

For instance, in the front shift motor, if you put a vacuum of about 15psi, on the top vent, it will shift the collor over both axles, and lock the front diff. (I think, don't hold me to this) so, then what, I guess I will just have to figure it out, not exactly sure what I am doing, and a little confused about the transfer case.

But thanks for the help so far.
Heres a little diagram i drew up. Besides the Yellow and Green the colors are not coded to anything, just there to make it easy to see. I cannot guarantee that I have the vac lines in the right order on the metal tube but you should get the idea.
  • Green line is the one that comes from the "T" heading to the t case
    Yellow line is the one that comes from the "T" heading to the front
    Red is the line the runs all the way through with the check valve fitting
    Blue is the other line that runs all the way through

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

thanks Kansasboy, that Is just what i needed I will post a correction if it isnt right...

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

edognight wrote:thanks Kansasboy, that Is just what i needed I will post a correction if it isnt right...
No problem, let me know if you figure out where those other 2 bolt holes go. And do you mean there's an additional bracket other than the one that's part of the metal lines? Or do the lines bolt directly to the block with their brackets

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

If i remember correctly. the metal lines have a built in bracket, and they also bolt to a removable bracket, on the block, but I will check to make sure.

Topic author
edognight

Post by edognight »

SO, I lucked out and the rear portion of the 4x4 vacuum system was intact. so if you look at the T as shown above, you just have to play with shooting air down the tube and see what comes out, in the case of mine, when the vacuum comes down from the switch, the tube at the far left of the car (facing front) was the yellow line, and that went to the middle port on the shift motor, and that meant engage. So after playing with it a little, it works, and thanks for the help everyone.