Switching the dashboard on an '84 to an '87

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
BParadise

Switching the dashboard on an '84 to an '87

Post by BParadise »

Hey guys! New to the forum and I'm happy I found it!

Recently I bought an 84 Wagoneer and an 87 Wagoneer, and now I'm in the process of restoring the 84 wagoneer. The 87 has been in an accident and is beyond repair :( so I'm mainly using it for parts.

I was wondering if it's possible to take the dashboard out of the the 87 and install it onto the 84. I feel like it may be possible, but since they are different years, and different style dashboards, I wanted to check with you guys before I attempt anything.

Thanks in advance!

AwesomeJ10

Re: Switching the dashboard on an '84 to an '87

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Welcome!

I"m not exactly sure and I bet others will chime in with more information, but yes, I think they will 100% swap over.

There might be a couple of wires that may have different connectors, but I bet they are pretty much identical.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

It will physically fit. The wiring is different though. Two examples are the headlight dimmer and windshield wiper switch is in the steering column of the 87. Good luck to you if you go down this path.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
BParadise

Post by BParadise »

Thank you so much guys! I'll most likely give it a try and hope that all goes well! I'm going to switch the steering wheel and column as well, so hopefully everything will work out!

Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

You'll have to swap fuel level senders as well. The newer dash's fuel gauge reads different than the old ones - pull to groud for full the other for empty (don't remember which is which.)

Personally I would leave it. The older dash is the better looking dash. I've thought about putting a pre 85 dash in my 87.

Topic author
BParadise

Post by BParadise »

Charles Kline wrote:You'll have to swap fuel level senders as well. The newer dash's fuel gauge reads different than the old ones - pull to groud for full the other for empty (don't remember which is which.)

Personally I would leave it. The older dash is the better looking dash. I've thought about putting a pre 85 dash in my 87.
Thanks for letting me know about the fuel level!

I would prefer to leave it also, but the dashboard is worn and just doesn't look that good anymore. Plus since I'm changing everything in the interior, might as well change that too. If the colors matched, I was going to leave it alone, but the new colors are light sandy color, whereas the old is reddish orange.

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

I'd swap wiring harnesses, too, since there are a bunch of little differences in the electrical between the two. I feel that would be easier than trying to make the '87 dash with with the '84 wiring.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

81waggy

Post by 81waggy »

My 81 came with the dash pad removed and it looks soooooooooooooo much better without it.

I have an 85 with the pad still intact and almost want to rip it out for spite.
IMG_20170809_101629424.jpg
Bondo and paint will eventually fill the holes (with a nice vintage speaker cover fabric for the am speaker hole).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
81 Wagoneer with a TBI 350 Vortec.
83 Wagoneer - 360 Quadratrac
69 Wagoneer - 350 Diesel trail rig
70 Wagoneer - 1414x

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:I'd swap wiring harnesses, too, since there are a bunch of little differences in the electrical between the two. I feel that would be easier than trying to make the '87 dash with with the '84 wiring.
That wont really work, not entirely anyway. Quite a few things changed between 86 and 87. So parts of it will work, but not all of it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

Although the wiring is different colors and connectors it is not fundamentally different. Many of the connectors have the same number of wires just different colors and connectors. With a careful examination of the wiring diagrams from 84 and 87 the existing 84 harness could be modified to work. All you have to worry about is the sending units (oil, temp, fuel) all of which must be replaced. The connectors to the instrument cluster must be changed along with the headlight wiring, wiper switch, and tailgate switch. You also must keep in mind the separate wiring that the seatbelt and 4x4 indicators had and integrate them into the new harness. Its a lot of work, but it is doable. If you do go though with the swap, please do us all a favor and make a write up with pictures for the forum.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Kaiserman

Post by Kaiserman »

If your worried mainly about how the older dash looks, it would be a lot easier to swap dash pads and paint the old dash than swap the newer one in and change the wiring, sending unit, vent cables etc.
1971 J2500 Gladiator Custom-Cab Platform Stake on 126" wb. B350/T18A/D20 D60/D60-3 w/locker 4.10's Ramsey 8klb PTO winch, Day-brook dump. 225/95R16's
1969 J3800 Gladiator 3407Z Camper Truck. B350/T18A/D20 D44/D60-3 w/4.10's
1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400 Mostly Stock
1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0L/AW4 4" lift OEM swing out tire carrier and brushguard

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Swapping requires pulling the led dash, so why not pull it, clean it up, paint to match your new interior, clean up connections and wiring harness (under dash on all of these rigs can use some clean-up!), and reinstall? You keep everything as an 84, keep the nicer looking dash, and don't have to screw with all the extra stuff..

Just my thoughts, but i am also looking at a modified version of the older dash to go into my 88 because i like the older dash much better.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

I put a 88 dash in my 79 J10 far as the dash itself bolts right in although much easier to remove the windshield to access the bolts under windshield gasket, speedo is cable driven no problem there,my running gear is all GM so can't help with guages,HVAC control head is really different, has dual blower switch's (one for heater and the other AC) all is doable just takes time to sort it all out, BTW both dash's are same underneath factory just modified the old dash for the newer style IP, you could just strip both dash's and mod the older dash to accept the newer IP/pad/controls/etc, post pic's and let us know how it all turns out!

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

You'll also need a different oil sender. And not sure about hvac cabling / plumbing / wiring. If it were me I'd spend the time making the original dash look better.
1984 GW

Topic author
BParadise

Post by BParadise »

Sorry about not posting for a while, been busy working and taking care of other things. I appreciate all the replies!

After considering the things that everyone said, I think I'm gonna go for it, but not immediately. It's going on the list of things that have to be done. I'll definitely keep you guys updated and will post pictures and how we're going at it.

I'm pretty determined to make this work. It'll be a crew of three possibly four working on this (yep it's a lot lol). And we're all experienced with Jeeps. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and we reinstall the old dash, and complain that we wasted our time.

Thank you guys!!!

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

The wiring will be the biggest difference. EVERYTHING is different. HVAC controls, radio, dimmer switch, instrument panel and even the ignition wiring.

If you swap wiring harnesses over it will be "slightly" easier. The 84 and 87 use different starter motors. The 87 has the starter solenoid built into the starter. The 84 has the solenoid on the fender. The difference is reflected in the wiring and I doubt the engine wiring harnesses are cross compatible with each other.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

The Dakota digital one is kinda cool.

Might be just as easy if your going thru all the trouble.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.