LOTS of water in oil

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
volkswaben

LOTS of water in oil

Post by volkswaben »

Hello there. I finally got around to registering my 74' Cherokee, trying to make it street legal after it has sat on non op for 15 years. I went to move it in my garage a few weeks ago, and I thought i'd fill up the radiator before I moved it with water, just to see what'd happen. Well, when I cranked it over milky oil shot up all over the engine bay through the filler tube. That never happened before I put the water in. I now drained the oil, but about a good 6 or 7 quarts of clear water came out, followed by a good 6 quarts of milky oil. I am wondering if this is a blown head gasket, and if so I can just get away with replacing it for now to get it on the road. I will probably do a proper rebuild or engine swap in the near future when funds allow. Just wondering if a head gasket would allow that much water in, or if it could be something else.
1974 Cherokee 360/T15
1979 Cherokee - parts rig/ future project?

ShagWagon

Re: LOTS of water in oil

Post by ShagWagon »

Seems something filled it up if it's clean and not green.

Drain, refill and fire it up, then see.

Man 15 years is a long time.......
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
volkswaben

Post by volkswaben »

ShagWagon wrote:Seems something filled it up if it's clean and not green.

Drain, refill and fire it up, then see.

Man 15 years is a long time.......
I have some used oil I will throw in there. I did fill it with straight water, and no antifreeze. That's why I'm thinking it's a bigger issue, I will see though.
1974 Cherokee 360/T15

CheapJeepBrad

Post by CheapJeepBrad »

How long did you let it sit for when you put the water in? Did it instantaneously fill up? According to you there was almost two gallons of water in the block. I doubt a head gasket leak would allow that much water to seep into the block very quickly. I'm betting there was already some in there from the initial failure which is either a cracked head or block or the aluminum timing cover and water pump housing has corroded inside and a hole has formed, allowing the water to run into the timing chain area.
Current FSJs:
79 Chief White/Russet
78 Chief orange/tan
FSJs Owned:
87 GW: Garnet/Oxblood
83 GW: Green/Peanut Butter
87 GW: Black/Oxblood
74 Cherokee NT: Blue/Brown
77 Chief:Tan/Garnet
87 GW: Silver/Oxblood
79 Cherokee Golden Eagle: Garnet/Tan
81 J10 blue/blue
77 Chief brown/tan
83 J10 Laredo: Red/Black
82 Cherokee: blue/black

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

For it to happen like you described, I think your timing cover has a big honkin' hole where the water pump mounts. That's the only way I can think of all that water getting into the crankcase that quickly.

If that water had been sitting in there under the oil the last 15 years, I think your crank would be rusted solid, that's why I think it's your top-up water that wound up in the crankcase.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

will e

Post by will e »

Probably your best bet at this point is to drain the water, put in some oil, pull the spark plugs and do a compression test. If you get consistent compression then timing cover is more likely. Like CJB indicated, a head gasket wouldn't leak that much just sitting.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

If I were going to bet on it I'd bet on the timing cover. very common.

Topic author
volkswaben

Post by volkswaben »

CheapJeepBrad wrote:How long did you let it sit for when you put the water in? Did it instantaneously fill up? According to you there was almost two gallons of water in the block. I doubt a head gasket leak would allow that much water to seep into the block very quickly. I'm betting there was already some in there from the initial failure which is either a cracked head or block or the aluminum timing cover and water pump housing has corroded inside and a hole has formed, allowing the water to run into the timing chain area.
It seemed to be pretty instant, as when I filled up the radiator the engine would crank roughly and not run very long before it sprayed all over. Before I put the water in the engine ran good. I will do a compression test next.
1974 Cherokee 360/T15

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I wager the others are correct in that your timing cover has corroded away.
The only other cause I can think of for oil/water puking out of the oil filler would be a cracked/broken cylinder wall or head...and you would have heard that.

The bummer is that you've most likely sucked coolant into the oiling system and oil doesn't like to stick to glycol coated metal.
There is a treatment available at big truck repair shops that is designed to clear the coolant out of the system. It's essentially nitro-methane.
You do an oil change, pour some in, run the engine till warmed up then do another.
It's not cheap, but will save an engine with the dreaded 'Chocolate Milk' problem.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I would follows Tatsadasayago's advice above. No reason to toast a motor over $40 in parts and effort​ especially if you have used oil to do it with.

Edit, I see above you used straight water. There is likley some residual glycol shmoo in the cooling system and subsequently in the water that filled the crank case.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Holy CrapTastic®
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

tedlovesjeeps71

Tatsadasayago wrote:Holy CrapTasticImage
Lol! Just wanted to offer a visual bon how the covers wear out. This is on my spare-spare 360 in my commando. Didn't see it until I sandblasted it. Image

Topic author
volkswaben

Post by volkswaben »

I did a compression test, and all 8 cylinders were around 120, so I believe it is the timing cover. I will start to disassemble the front end within the week, and hopefully I can fix the old cover and not have to buy a new one if that is the problem.
1974 Cherokee 360/T15

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Might as well order a new cover now, or start the search for good used one. MIne sat for 17 years, had to coax the water pump off and several small bits of the cover stuck to the water pump gasket but the TC didn't look damaged until it was cleaned and the gaps appeared . The distributer had bonded to the cover through the gasket but looked perfectly normal. Had to disassemble the distributer to remove. I can only think of 2 people I would wish that fun on.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Topic author
volkswaben

Post by volkswaben »

I finally found time to pull apart the front of the engine and see what was going on. Everything came off pretty easy except one of the thermostat housing bolts that broke, and it doesn't surprise me why...
The water pump was also nasty, very nasty. I got the cover off and cleaned it, and found where the coolant was going straight into the timing chain area and oil pump. :-bd
Time to order a new timing cover and many other parts. Hopefully she'll be on the road soon. :D
1974 Cherokee 360/T15

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

That's crazy. Looks like some mutant rock rat made its home in there......

Your whole coolant system must be totally screwed.

They should have used distilled water lol.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
volkswaben

Post by volkswaben »

ShagWagon wrote:That's crazy. Looks like some mutant rock rat made its home in there......

Your whole coolant system must be totally screwed.

They should have used distilled water lol.
Lol. I'm hoping everything else is alright. I'll have to get a new radiator too. I'm wondering if there's a way to flush out the passages with a hose or something so I can at least get the loose crap out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
1974 Cherokee 360/T15

tedlovesjeeps71

Reminds me of my crossed fingers 360 when I tore it down. Stupid aluminum cover. ImageImage

Topic author
volkswaben

Post by volkswaben »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Reminds me of my crossed fingers 360 when I tore it down. Stupid aluminum cover. ImageImage

That's remarkably similar to what my water pump looked like, just mine had oily sludge.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
1974 Cherokee 360/T15