360 starts then dies. Help

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
kansasboy001

360 starts then dies. Help

Post by kansasboy001 »

My 1983 Cherokee with a 360 with Quadrajet carb, msd dist and msd ignition with tfi coil has been running like a clock up until this morning. I parked it last night and all was good, but now it won't run. It fires right up, runs for a couple seconds and dies. Sometimes it backfires through the carb right before it dies.

I tried adjusting the initial timing thinking it got way out of wack and the only way it'll stay running is if the dist is rotated as far clockwise as it'll go ( retarded?), and even then it runs like crap and misfires.

I ruled out the coil by swapping it with another tfi coil, and I doubt its the carb as I rebuilt it and it has been running fine. Fuel pump is also pumping good.
Also disconnected egr as well as AIR to rule out any emissions crap.

Thinking I might have a chewed up cam-dist gear or a loose timing chain, am I right in this prediction?

Thanks!
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

REDONE

Re: 360 starts then dies. Help

Post by REDONE »

Those are both possible. Backfires through the carb happen when timing is WAY off (wouldn't run, just pop while cranking). The other cause that seems more likely if your engine runs is raw liquid gas in the intake manifold.

I'm on my phone, thumb-stomping this post and I don't even recognize half the words autocorrect is suggesting. This is rediculous!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

I suppose i could have a stuck needle and seat causing flooding, but i highly doubt it. Trash would have to get past 3 filters to get to my carb. I also smell exhaust from the engine which makes me think its got to be the timing chain. But ill definitely look into the carb

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Sounds like a classic jumped time symptom. Compression check would be the next step.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

letank

Post by letank »

Same here, the motorcycle was running fine yesterday... today it is raining and it has stalled at every stop signs... what a pita... Friend has the same issues as well...

increase idle speed...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

ghcoe wrote:Sounds like a classic jumped time symptom. Compression check would be the next step.
Can't really check compression when it won't run for more than a second or 2 can I?

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

Best way I found to check compression is to pul all the plugs, jam open your carb throttle plates and turn engine over 3-4 rotations to get reading. This test will not tell you if chain has jumped. To check for the chain jumping figure best to remove valve cover for number one cylinder and check placement of valves when pointer on harmonic balancer is at TDC. Another quick test to check status on your chain is to remove distributor cap and turn engine over manually. Then reverse direction and see how many degrees balancer moves before distributor rotor moves. Maybe someone can jump in here and give a idea on acceptable limits.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Compression check will tell you if you have a skipped chain. With the valves out of time with the crank you can not build any cylinder pressure for the engine to run right.

If the chain has skipped one tooth the motor can still run. Usually it will stall when given gas, die when put into a gear (auto), or back fire and sputter. In some cases you can drive the vehicle, but it will lack any power at all.

It all depends on cam profiles and engine designs .
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

prospector

Post by prospector »

The symptom you describe is exactly what happens when the choke gets stuck shut.

Topic author
kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

So I was looking into the choke like prospector suggested, and yesterday I was able to get it started and drive it around the block. Ran like normal. But this morning it's back to dying after startup again.

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

Fuel delivery? The backfire before it dies might be a lean pop, and timing all the way retarded would work better with a lean mix. Do you have a PSI gauge going into the carb after all 3 of the filters to verify you're getting enough juice?
1984 GW